Chapter 3: Coffee

The next day I was in the kitchen making breakfast although I couldn't stop thinking about how Alex got those photos and our previous conversation as well. Does he know that I'm a Spirit Animal? Probably not. There no way that what I've said could've made him suspicious. My phone started to ring and I picked it up and noticed an unfamiliar phone number. "Hello?" I said.
"Uh, hey it's Alex can you come over for a second. I'm at work."
"Why what's wrong?" "Something came up." He then hung up the phone. All I could think of is how that guy's full of secrets.

(At the Resistance organisation)
"Alex where are you?!"
"Over here!" He was sitting in front of a computer and next to him lied a file.
"What's this?" I pointed  at the file.
"Its photos that I took. Apparently the Roaches were ambushed."
"And this happened when?" "Last night." Again he was making me very suspicious. "Alex how did you get these?" "Well, I only saw it this morning but no one was hurt. There were no bodies and the machines were all broken." Someone was trying to destroy the Roaches' plans, but it couldn't be human. According to those photos something supernatural must've done it and if it's a Spirit Animal, I have to do whatever it takes for the Resistance not to find out.
"Are you ok, you seem a bit worried. Is something bothering you?" Alex asked. "No, not at all. Hey how about we have that coffee." I said. "Ok then, it's a date. Meet me at the Café at 15:00." Its a date? Wow! That certainly has a death wish. Even if we wanted to be together, I don't think that Jack would allow it. We were partners that's all that we we're and it couldn't be better in any other way.

(At the café)
"So coffee, huh?" I asked Alex not knowing what to say. "Caroline we're just doing this as friends right?" It took me a while to answer him.
"Well, we are partners..." "Yeah that's what I mean."
"I guess so." He smiled, but it wasn't very encouraging because it did not reach his eyes. I didn't know what was wrong, but their was something inside of me that just made me get used to him, even though he's a pain in the ass. I think I should tell him about my Spirit Animal, after all he is my partner and I should trust him no matter what.
"Alex there's something I have to tell you... I -"
"No, stop! Your friend Alex cannot know about us, nor the organisation. If you want to live, I suggest you should honour our pact."
Interrupted a voice in my head and by the sound of it I knew that it was my Spirit Animal, communicating with me.
"Caroline, what is it that you want to tell me?" Alex asked.
"I wanted to tell you that... This coffee is amazing, I love it."
"The coffee? Yeah I guess it does." I couldn't believe that I couldn't tell Alex about my Spirit Animal.
"So I was thinking maybe we should go to the Roaches' exploded building, maybe if we dig through the wreckage we might find something." I said.
"Sure, how 'bout first thing tomorrow?"
"Sure." We drove home together and said goodbye to each other. I couldn't get the voice of the Spirit Animal out of my head.