Chapter 7: The Survivor

(The next day: At the camp of the Spirit Protectors.)
I woke up from the tent - in which I slept in - when Agmaat Stepped inside.
"Did you sleep well, child?" He asked.
"Yes, Agmaat." I replied.
"Good. Prepare yourself. U got word from your friend Alex and he's on his way." Alex is alive! That's great news. I thought he was gonna die, bit he's alive.

(Later that day.)
We were all waiting impatiently for Alex. We saw some kind of movement between the trees. The figure came closer and closer until it became clear. Alex then approached from the trees and fell flat on the ground. The villagers gasped with fright and quickly dragged Alex to a tent. He was in the tent, bruised, beaten, but alive, still breathing.
"What happened to him?" I asked.
"Mr. Stone, must've gotten to him once he found out that Alex is with us." Agmaat answered. I sostenuto cried. Because of me, Alex almost died and because of me, the villagers will be killed as well.
(At night: In the tent)
I was sitting beside Alex, watching him. He looked so peaceful, but I still couldn't get the image, of Alex hurt, out of my head. His eyes slowly opened.
"Where am I?" He asked.
"You're at the camp of the Spirit Protectors."
"So you've met Agmaat." He said. Even though it wasn't a question, I still answered with a "Yes."
"I thought you were dead." I said, trying to hold back the tears.
"It's gonna take a lot more to kill me." Alex coughed. I couldn't even look at him.
"You look terrible." I told Alex. "At least it's not as bad as when you died."
"You were watching?"
"I knew you were the wolf. You really suck at hiding secrets."
"I'm so sorry."
"For what?" He asked.
"It's because of me that you look like this, it's because of me that you almost got killed."
"Caroline, don't blame yourself for something you didn't do, okay?" He leaned in closer and said "We're on this together." He tried to move, but he growled in pain.
"Shh." I calmed him. "Sleep now Alex, you need your rest." I felt terrible for him, I was both heartbroken and angry because of what Jack has done. He will pay for what he did, but I wasn't ready yet, there were still a lot more that I needed to learn and here at this village is where I need to start.