Don't X Die

Maya was only in the crows nest for two minutes before the boat started rocking even more than it already was. Caught off guard, Maya fell out of the crows nest and landed in the middle of Leorio and Kurpika's argument. But, apparently, they hadn't noticed Maya fall ten feet and land on her feet.

Maya got up and saw that the ship's crew were lowering the sail. Maya didn't know what was going on, but she decided to help them.

Maya was soaked to the bone, but that didn't stop her from helping the crew and Gon lower the ship's sails. After a few tugs, a giant wave crashed over the boat, but Maya managed to keep her footing while others were flung around.

Another wave came with the wind and knocked the entire crew down, but Katsou was still holding on to the rope when it lashed upwards.

"Katsou-san!" Maya and Gon yelled.

Katsous was blown backwards by the force of the rope and the wind, he flew past Leorio and Kurapika and went over the side of the ship. But before the two could do anything, Gon and Maya jumped over the ship's side towards Katsou.

Gon was holding into Katsou's hands while Maya held onto Gon's feet, Leorio was holding onto Maya's left foot while Kurapika was holding onto her right foot. Maya was thankful she had chosen jeans and a tee shirt that day.

Leorio and Kurapika were holding onto the ship with one hand. "Pull 'em up!" Someone yelled.

The storm had let up and the sun was out. "You idiots!" Leorio shouted. "If we hadn't grabbed your legs, you'd be shark bait now."

"Honestly... How reckless can you be?" Kurapika said as he looked away.

"But you did catch us." Maya said softly. "Huh?" Leorio said as he looked down at the two younger kids that were sitting on the floor of the ship.

"You both caught us!" Gon said.

"Well I guess so..." Leorio said after his face softened a bit.

"Gon! Maya!" Maya looked over to see Kastou running towards the group of five.

"Katsou-san!" Gon said. Katsou looked at Maya and Gon. "Thanks you two! You saved my life."

"We couldn't have done it alone." Maya said. "These two helped save you as well."

Katsou looked over at Leorio and Kurapika. "Thank you very much!"

"No." Kurapika said. "There is no need to thank me."

"Yeah. I'm just glad you're okay." Leorio said,oolong at the ground.

"Yeah! So I'll be returning to my station!" Katsou said and walked away to return to his chores.

Kurapika looked at Leorio. "I apologize for my rude behavior. Sorry, Leorio-san."

"W-what's with the sudden change?" Leorio said as he looked to Kurapika. "We sound like strangers. Just call me Leorio.... Leorio works just fine." He waved his hand around and looked down at Kurapika. "I am also sorry. I take back everything I said. I was wrong."

"No, it's okay." Kurapika told him.

Suddenly there was loud laughter. Maya looked towards the sound of the laughing, it was the Captain. "I like you guys! Okay." He said. "I'll take responsibility for bringing you four to the port closest to the exam site." He started walking up the stairs.

"Really?" Gon asked. "What about your test?" The Captain stopped and looked back. "It's my decision to make. And all four of you pass!"

"Yay!" Gon yelled and bounced up while Leorio smiled and Kurapika sighed on relief. Maya smiled even bigger, if that was possible.

She had passed the first test. This was her chance to become a Hunter.