Lost in the woods

Wpov

He led me to a bunch of games. They weren't in the best of shape, but they looked fun.

He patiently taught me how to play each one, and then we played eachother. Most of the time he won, but it was fun anyway.

When we finished Nico said, "Come on. After the festival, there's always a meeting in the woods."

"Okay."

He led me to the woods, which I thought was insanely cute. He seemed so excited to go everywhere and it was amazing to see him so happy. We were the first people in the forest exept for one neko, who was sitting on the ground, her tail swishing happily around behind her.

Nico's eyes flashed with recognition, "Clarisse?"

The girl jumped up at her name and swiveled around to see us. "Nico?" She asked quietly, not looking us either of us in the eye.

Nico ran up and gave her a hug. "Clarisse! This is Will Solace."

"The king?"

"Yeah."

"Did he force you to go with him?" She asked.

"No, he's nice."

"Why are you with him? She growled.

"I-I'm dating him."

She looked at him in surprise, then glared back at me. "If you hurt him..." she snarled.

"He's not going to." Nico reassured.

They talked for a while and soon there was a crowd around us. They were all looking at a spot in the middle, where a neko was standing on a chair.

Nico and I pushed to the front.

"Today we have celebrated." The neko said, "But today we must also grieve. More nekos died in the castle the past year than any other year, due to King Apollo."

A few nekos booed and others shouted or got teary-eyed.

"If you were family of one of the dead, step out of the crowd when you hear your loved one's name."

He started rambling off names and I felt guilty.

All of these nekos died in the castle because of my dad.

I couldn't stop thinking of ways I could've helped.

"...And one that her brother just came back from the castle: Bianca Di Angelo."

I looked down at Nico and saw he had tears running down his face and was paler than usual.

"I've gotta go up there." He whispered.

"I'll be waiting for you." I whispered back. He pushed his way up to the crowd.

The person kept talking, but I honestly wasn't paying attention.

Nico is devastated.

It's your fault, you could've saved her.

I never even saw her!

If you would've set them free earlier, she would've survived.

I didn't know she would die!

The person was going through the line asking how the rest of their loved ones were doing, to keep count and make sure they didn't leave any out.

They were almost to Nico...

Now. It's Nico's turn.

"How is your family?"

"My mother is dead."