Chapter 4 - XXX

Nick Wilde stared out his car window, thirteen years old, and had his eyes in complete wonder

Nick Wilde stared out his car window, thirteen years old, and had his eyes in complete wonder. He had heard of the wilderness, but this was something amazing, something that... He felt so drawn to.

It was Nick's first time camping, first time outside the hustle and bustle of a big city, and he loved it.

"What do you think Nicky?" His mother happily called to him from the passenger seat, her heart warmed at the sight of her son so amazed by the woods.

He had his muzzle pressed against the window, paws splayed out across them, and his mind was a happy trance. The trees, the fresh air, it just felt so good!

"It's... It's awesome mom..." Nick was in awe, he had never felt so happy before. The green was everywhere, the sky was blue, the air was cool and sweet with dew...

He'd never felt more at peace. His father in the front seat, was just as happy to see his son so joyful about going camping.

But he was having a hard time focusing. Something had been starting to nag him up to recently, it was weird, probably nothing, just headaches and whatnot... But it was nagging him.

He shook his head, and kept driving to their campsite. It only took a few more minutes, and then, they stepped out.

Nick felt the cool, wet soil spread through his feet. It felt so good. He felt so happy.

With a burst of laughter, he went out running, his cap flying off of his head, the cool breeze rushing in his face, feet cooled by the plush soil.

He breathed in the sweet air, ran around, smiled, and laughed. Ever since those... Kids at Ranger Scouts muzzled him... Life became kind of blue... Until today, that was.

Never before was he so happy, felt so free. In fact, a tear or two fell out of his eyes. It just felt so good to be so free and happy.

There was no containing it! The creek was crystal clear, it was nice and cold... He ran past deep brown, wooden cabins with their cozy orange lanterns, setting everything aglow with their warmth...Everything was so perfect. So beautiful.

Nick laid down in the soil, and let the cool dirt sink into his veins.

He sighed, and looked up at the baby blue sky. A world of dreams lay before him, and everything was so perfect.

He was happy.

So happy.

Then, like all memories...

Nick woke up from remembering this one.

XXX

A fox's eyes blasted open, wanting to see the forest again, to see his parents happy again, to feel free again...