Chapter 1 - Where Blood Is Inches Thick

"Judy Hopps, ZPD."

The woman at the main lobby desk raised her nose, and Judy was surprised to find a black furred sphinx attending it.

"May I help you," She took a gaze at Jimena and Diego behind her, "Officers?"

There was a bit of silence, as Judy was attempting to conjure up some words. She tapped her foot against the deep green marble floor.

Before she could speak, Jimena pushed her aside, rather impatiently. "We're here for an investigation, and it would be for research purposes if you would show us where the data you keep for the dead is."

Judy growled angrily, clenching and unclenching her fists. Diego gave her a light tap on the shoulder, motioning his hands downwards.

"Calm down,"  He whispered, recognizing Jimena's rude gesture.

The woman blinked flatly a bit, and gave the most dead, dry answer Judy ever heard. "Let me ask Mr. Schwitzer." The woman picked up the desk phone and dialed.

Judy's ears sprung up. Hadn't she heard that name before? Yes, she had, Ethan Schwitzer...

Nick's boss? That was right, so then... the leader of the D.P.C.U?
Before she could say anything, she felt Diego step by her, and nudge Jimena on the shoulder.

"What did you do that for?" He whispered.

Her grunt was that of annoyance. "She was taking too long. I want to get the hell out of here."

Judy turned her attention away from their argument, and instead gazed at the aging, gigantic elegance of the D.P.C.U.

The walls, floor, and ceiling were all a deep green marble, the trims were all calcium crusted gold. There was not a single window in the almost palace like interior, but rather, deep yellow lights hanging from elegant lamps all across the ceiling.

Shadows were cast everywhere, a fountain was behind the reception desk, and above the woman talking on the phone was the logo and D.P.C.U. letters in a faded gold sign. Calcium buildup seemed as if it bled from the letters and logo, onto the green marble wall.

It was sickening how such a place filled with death, built upon death, was so elegant. Even then, elegance showed its age with the dying architecture.

"Mr. Schwitzer says thirty minutes." Judy's ears turned to the desk, where she informed them of his decision.

Diego nodded, and was handed a ring of keys. "The data room is the same as the body storage. Please do not tamper with the bodies, but the data is on the left side of the room. We ask you go  the data side, and the data side ONLY. The rest of the area is prohibited for investigation."

Jimena already started walking to the left wing of the building, her footsteps echoing off of the giant ceilings.

Diego cried after her, "Jesus, hold on Jimena!" Judy quickly ran along with him, but not before taking a last glance at the woman at the desk.

She eyed them with an evil glare.

Gulping hesitantly, Judy caught up with them, only to find Jimena and Diego bickering again.

"Please calm down Jimena, this place is just as freaky to me as it is to you!"

"No more talking. Let's just get this over with."

Judy arched her brows down angrily, wanting to protest Jimena's rash attitude.

"I don't understand why you're so rude Jimena." Judy finally broke, looking up to her as they walked down a long hallway.