Chapter 10

Another big chapter to sate your desire for this story. So here it is. Enjoy.

Written by myszkin, edited by myszkin & Crystal

-Mami perspective-

It was suppose to be a nice walk home after a long day of doing things that humans do to make them look as if their lives were worth something. You know, keeping them busy just to escape from the reality that their efforts are useless and in the end they will all die. I can't tell you how Tomomi made me tag along but I guess you could say that I was just curious about normal, everyday life. It's one thing observing it from afar and other - to participate in it. Like watching documentaries about ants, Tomomi showed me the other night on that device of hers. It was fascinating, the close ups, full understanding of their behaviour, calm voice coming from a person who narrated it. Everything was great. To my surprise my human said that this movie wasn't played too often by, what she called, "users", I asked her what was then and that question was a mistake because soon I had to watch a compilation of weird images with people doing stupid things like setting themselves on fire or dancing idiotic dance that looked like jumping on horse. No wonder this civilization is going to end, to be honest, I'm astonished that it hasn't yet. When that happens I hope that ants will survive. They are quite nice. Not as nice as Dumpling but still.

Tomomi took me to the library where I had to be quiet which wasn't that much challenge for me cause I can go without saying a word for years and that's just proven fact. The library and its "be quiet" sign could learn a thing or two from me. Actually I should be a synonymous for this word and you should be able to find my name in the thesaurus. Maybe that should be my goal for the next century? Make my name associated with something famous.

We also did groceries and Tomomi made me eat a weirdly looking, huge fruit that tasted a bit like honey and sunny days. She called it "melon", cut it in a half and gave me one part so I could easily eat it with the silver, small spoon. It was heaven. I quickly finished my part and discovered that she was a much slower eater than me. After some bragging and few not-so-empty threats she sagged gave me her fruit and I happily munched it, earning myself some partly amused and partly scolding looks from her side. Hey! It was good and she was taking centuries fighting with it, it's not my fault she eats like a snail when it comes to certain things. Eat or be eaten. She should know that old truth by now.

Hour after hour, the day was filled with errands and before I knew it, the night was falling slowly but surely and the murkiness was waiting for us on one of the city's bus stops. Another thing I have learned by now: transportation. You could pay a guy and he would take you wherever you want to go. Nearby village, far city on the other part of Poland - all awaits for you. I could go anywhere and yet, I spent all of my life in Ostroda. Is it because I liked it here or was I just lazy like that? Or maybe it was an outcome of my lack of knowledge that I could be wherever I wanted at any given time? Whatever the reason - now that situation is going to change because my trip to Australia soon would be a reality, especially since I had my passport now with me. Thanks to Peter's connections in the city hall I got that funny important booklet document sooner than I normally would.

The bus stop was placed on the far edge of our town where there were no lamps. In twenty minutes we would be at our homes; she'd go her way and I'd take a nice dive into my lake, slowly washing out mortals' problems. Just few more steps and this interesting but tiring day would be over. Spending so many hours with humans was starting to be irritating. Of course some of them are interesting but so can moss and its advantage is that it talks way less.

"Oi! You there! Funny face, chink!"

We heard the voice of young male shouting from across the street. See? Irritating I told you. Humans and their yelling, are they really that deaf? Evolution clearly pulled a sad trick on them making their ears so small, apparently they need them a lot bigger cause all they do is raise their voices and make the fuss all the time. Stupid, little vermins, I tell you.