Chapter 14

Written by Crystal, myszkin, edited by Crystal & myszkin

Tomo speaks.

Mami, as you know, is spontaneous, crazy critter that goes from stoic to becoming a firecracker in less than a second. It came as a surprise when we were on our way to Shark Island. One moment she was all excited about the trip and then suddenly I heard her say that we're going clubbing later that night. When did she learn about clubs and lounges anyway?

Then I remembered some slick black and gold name card that she had left on my table having packed away her map. Wati Kutjara is the name of a Western Desert Dreaming of two goanna men says Google. 'Cultured Mami.' I thought. 'Having visited some Aboriginal art gallery on her trip to the Blue Mountains.' That was all crushed Google brought up a popular nightclub in Kings Cross with that name. Man this rusalka is going places... perhaps to satisfy her needs? Did she go already? Oh My God... Is her victim ok? I couldn't help but think of that drunk back in Ostroda. What happens if she succeeds in what she does? I pray to the lord, Police don't turn up at our doorstep...

As much as my heart was racing, I didn't want to confront her and forgot about it shortly afterwards as my morning was spent busily packing for a picnic of sorts on Shark Island

Mami settled down on a shady picnic bench on the island. There was another family or two that alighted from the ferry with us.

Mami whined about rather being in the water in this heat as she opened up the picnic basket and downed two rice balls and an egg. In the time I I was still trying to reach for my own bento underneath the containers of fruit and biscuits.

Then my attention turned to the whereabouts of my phone. Whilst trying to locate my phone in my bag, I spotted the shiny sleek business card I had slipped into a side pocket of my bag. Forget the phone for the moment. Now was the time to ask Mami about this.

"So where did you get this?" I asked, producing the name card from my bag.

Mami stared at the card after she swallowed her boiled egg. She nearly choked a little before that. So she does have a gag reflex. Hm. Anyway.

"A weird man gave it to me when I was at Echo Point."

My heart felt a mixture of relief and oh all that crazy mental scenario creation was nothing.

"What about this weird card handing out man?"

Mami's postured straightened and she snapped into a wide eyed chatterbox frenzy.

"He said his name was Mumba. He-he said that he and his brother owned this club and if I was ever bored of humans I could go to his club for thrills. And by the gods he was smoking a cigar in a no smoking zone. And- and had this leather jacket that looked like it belonged in an op shop. He had scales And he..."

"Alright Mami calm down... why are you so worked up?"

"Then he disappeared. Tell me what are Indigenous spirits like in Australia, Tomomi? Will he come after a 'dark' spirit like me if I do something wrong? How do I introduce myself to them properly?"

"Err What?"

I hadn't quite been programmed to respond to a mildly frantic rusalka. I mean I didn't even know she had a frantic mode.

Mami was now staring at me, those electrified eyes demanding answers I probably don't have.

"Well um... I don't know? I mean you've been here this long and nothing has happened I think you'll be ok."

Mami exhaled. "Alright thank you little human, I'm going for a swim."

"I don't think-"

Mami stripped off her top and bottoms, revealing her trim physique in those dashing swimmers underneath. Making a dash for the jetty before I could finish my sentence.