Chapter 13

Written by myszkin, Crystal, edited by Crystal & myszkin

-Mami speaks-

Tomomi blood curdling scream caused my perfect circle on my map to jiggle. Followed by that slam of the bathroom door.

"Mami!"

I felt my blood simmer as I got up from the table. That human will pay for messing up my focus.

"What!"

"Mami!!"

I had an idea of what it might have been. There were things that made humans scream. But for Tomomi, it was the little critters that she feared the most. I spotted Tomo frozen in front of the bathroom. Hand still on the door knob.

"Whats wrong?"

"Kill it!"

"Kill what?"

"The cockroach!" Tomomi cried out in the tone I had come to know as wailing.

What was I supposed to do? Grab that bug spray Tomomi and Aunty Matsuko sprayed so liberally or get a container or smash it dead or just let it run off into a dark crevice for another day?

"Just kill it!" Tomo screamed on the top of her lungs for the neighbours to hear. Wonder what they'd think?

"Alright alright. Move over feeble human."

When did the role descriptor of being a rusałka also include cockroach killing? Swimming, contemplating, inventing, pleasuring, drowning and now cockroach killing, hm?

So I pried Tomomi's frozen, but pleasantly warm, fingers off the knob and went in and faced the formidable predator pest prey I didn't know. As per usual the cockroach would be still waving around its antennas naively waiting to be slapped dead if swift enough.

Actually on second thoughts I'd just have a shower.

Only when I turned on the shower tap did Tomo notice what had happened.

"Hey! I wanted to shower!"

"Too bad, Mr cockroach told me I should go first."

My human knew she had to at least wait enough half an hour before she'd even get a second chance of having a shower. Hopefully by then the cockroach would have wandered off.

I felt my energy return as I dipped my legs into the water.

Now it was time to reabsorb all my lost moisture from being out in the hot dry summer's day.

----

It turned out Tomomi had something to sort out at her University for the day and thanks to that, apparently, it'd be just me today. Finally I could travel by myself. That got me all excited until Haruna turned up with her car in front of the house.

"What is she doing here?" I asked Tomo as she was in her usual scrambling to get ready mode.

"She said she wants to take you somewhere."

"What?"

"Just go."

"Alright." I slipped on my shoes and left with my bag packed with gwith maps and bottled water.

"Is this your car?" I asked when I got into a marvellously large vehicle, surprisingly driven by a small person such as Haruna.

"No. I took my parent's car out for a drive. Said I had friends visit. That's all I had to say."

"Hm. I see. That's nice of them."

I settled myself and buckled my seatbelt on.

Haruna said no more and began driving off down the suburban street past that petrol station I visited several nights before.