Chapter 24: Try to be the Tough Guy

Zayn's POV
    "My baby! Why? Why couldn't you have saved her? You're doctors for God's sake! You went to school for this!" Mum screeched.
"Ma'am, I'm sorry, but you're going to have to quiet down. You're disturbing the other patients." The doctor said.
  "Other patients? Other patients! My daughter just died, why would I care about other patients? And it's your fault she's dead!" Mum yelled.
  "Mum, mum. Calm down. Please. It's alright. She's okay now." I quietly said.
   She fell on a chair and sobbed. My heart aches. Not only for my deceased sister when it should have been me, but for my mum. Not having dad to help us, and she just lost one of her children?  It's awful. Miranda soothingly rubbed my back and hugged me.
  "It's alright babe. Like you said, she's in a better place now. It'll all be alright." She whispered in my ear. I hope so.
   Suddenly, the heart monitor flared. The doctors turned around and ran to Doniya's bedside, alarmed. All of a sudden, a loud beep came from her bed. Then she croaked.
  "Zayn?"
I rushed over, Miranda right behind me, and saw her.
  "Doniya?" I gasped.
She looked awful. Most of her face was bruised, and she had a long cut from her jaw bone, disappearing under her gown.
   "I'm sorry Zayn." She said.
   "Why are you sorry? You're okay, we're okay." I replied
    "My baby! You're okay!" Mum yelled as she ran over to Doniya.
    "Yeah mum. Everything's okay."