In this together

You slept next to Gohan, closer to the fire so you wouldn't get cold. The cave was small, but you were only in it at night anyway. Piccolo stood outside staring off in the distance, deep in thought.
He stole a glance at the two of you, sleeping peacefully. Gohans cheek slightly swollen from a day of training, you had a few scrapes but otherwise unharmed.
He found that a small smile had crept its way onto his face, and he cursed himself. It wasn't but eleven months ago when the mere thought of other people made him scowl, now this woman and child have wiggled their way into his life. He cared about the two of you. It was an emotion foreign to him, but he couldn't say he didn't enjoy it.
You caught his eye for a moment, face illuminated by the fire. You looked so peaceful, like there wasn't a worry in the world. If only that was true.
He dreaded the arrival of the Sayians, not because he was worried for himself, but because he knew the two of you would be in danger when the time came.
He turned around and scolded himself.
Emotions like this gave you weakness, made you vulnerable. Or so he had always told himself. He suddenly had a thought.
What he dreaded even more than fighting the Sayians, was the thought of losing you or Gohan.
He clenched his fist
'I'll be damned if I let that happen'
He jumped slightly when he felt a hand on his shoulder.
"Wow, must have really been lost in thought to let me startle you" you spoke softly, as to not wake Gohan.
"Just thinking about the battle," he stated firmly
"Are you worried?" You asked
"Of course not" he lied "It's what we've been training for"
You laughed softly "I wish I was so confident"
He gave you a quizzical look.
"My whole life Goku had been my only family, when we met the others we became a bigger family. Then Gohan was born, and I finally realized why my brother was so protective over me, why he always wanted me safe. I realized what lengths I would go to to keep my family safe." You sighed "I would do anything for the people I care about, and that includes you. We only have one more month until these Sayians arrive, and it scares the shit out of me"
You chanced a glance at the taller male and he was looking at you with an expression you couldn't read.
"Before the two of you were with me I was alone, I spent my time meditating and training alone. I've never really cared about another person. The two of you changed that, and I don't know weather to thank you or not. You've both come so far with your training, I'm confident we can do this.
He looked away towards the mountains and you smiled.
"We're in this together" you said and he smiled
"Come on" you turned to walk back into the cave "let's get some sleep"
You kissed Gohans forehead before laying down, followed by Piccolo who went to his usual spot leaning against a rock.
"Goodnight"