Chapter 35 - Justice

Gwendal pov:

"You all can go inside from here and take the front seats – I reserved them for you. I need to go to my office and pick up a few things for the case. The hearing should start in about ten minutes," Princess Anzu said while looking over all of us with a confident smile.

She looked like a different person from the easy-going and cheerful person she always was in the Great Demon Kingdom and in her home on Earth. She looked dignified, majestic even, dressed in formal attire. Her clothes, however, also accentuated her delicate physique, sitting snugly and showing off her curves. It flustered me and also annoyed me, making me glance around at the men around us who noticed the princess' beauty.

An intense desire to step to her and hold her in my arms bubbled within me. I wished to wrap my arm around her small waist, my arm going around it easily, and hold her to myself with her hands resting on my chest. I wished to look into her eyes and drown in her affection for me, and feel the softness of her lips on mine.

Damn it, I thought, averting my eyes from her before I succumbed to my desperate wish. I had made up my mind to keep my distance to protect her, and I had to stay strong.

"Alright, we'll see you in a bit," His Majesty said, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Masao san! Masao Anzu san!" Three people approached us in a hurry before we could part ways. They were crying and appeared more than anxious, and they bowed deeply to the princess.

"Please! Please help my husband! We trust you and we beg you to do whatever you can to prove his innocence! We need him - my children need him! Please! You are our only hope now!" the woman begged, her shoulders trembling. She had her two young children bow as well.

"Please stand up, Chiharu san. I feel uncomfortable if someone older than me bows to me in such a way," Princess Anzu said, holding the woman by the shoulders reassuringly. Smiling, she added, "I took your case after studying all the facts and doing my own share of research. I know that your husband is innocent and I will prove it here today."

She sounded so strong, undefeatable even. It was no surprise that the Great One had chosen her to be His Majesty's protector.

"Thank you! Thank you so much! We will pay you as much money as you want for helping us win this case!" The woman bowed again, this time in deep gratitude.

"Please don't worry about the payment – I don't work for money nor do I charge an extravagant amount. You can pay me whatever fee we agreed upon when you came to discuss the case with me. Justice is most important to me, after all," Princess Anzu said. "Please excuse me now. It's almost time for the hearing to begin."

"Of course, Masao san. Thank you once again." With another bow, the woman and her two children stepped into the courtroom.

"You all should go inside too," The princess said to us.

With nods, we dispersed. The princess walked down the hallway while we entered the courtroom through the main entrance. It was a big hall with wooden benches lined up in the back of the room for the audience. In the middle were two tables on either side facing each other. At the front was a wooden table about six feet high whe I assumed the judge would be seated. At the base of it was the witness box.

There were several people gathered, and two who were at the middle tables were dressed in attire similar to Princess Anzu's. They were lawyers, as she had told us, and were responsible for representing the people that approached them for their help. With set rules and evidence, the hearing would proceed and the final judgement would be given.

The princess was about to fight a case where a man had been accused of robbing the company he worked for. The man was actually innocent, or rather, that's what Princess Anzu had said, and she was going to prove his innocence against the opposition.