Chapter 13 - Forgiveness

Anzu pov:

Having finally reached the Great Demon Kingdom and got off the ship, I gave my body a good stretch. I had slept most of the way to make up for the sleep I had lost over the last couple of days and I was now refreshed and ready for action.

Yuri and Greta stood next to me with the former reassuring the latter that everything would be okay with Hube. Said person was being lowered from the ship with the help of a manual crane. Just as he was landed on the docks, we heard the sound of horses in the distance. I spotted Gwendal coming to where we were along with several soldiers and a bright smile made its way to my face as I waved to them.

"Hey, Gwendal!" Yuri waved too and Greta hid behind him, nervous under Gwendal's stern stare. I patted her head to offer a little comfort but it didn't seem to help much. Letting her go, I met Gwendal's eyes when he got off his horse. I opened my mouth to greet him but he swiftly walked past me and to where Hube was. He unsheathed his sword and held it to Hube's neck.

"Gwendal, what are you doing?" Yuri hollered and I rushed to get between Gwendal and Hube. I pushed against his chest, trying to push him back but he didn't quite budge.

"Gwendal, stop it!" I yelled, feeling his heart pounding fast under my hand. I looked up at him to find him giving the scariest glare possible to Hube

"Gugunhuber! Surely you didn't think you would live to tread on this soil again, did you?" he bellowed and I tried to push him back again.

"Gwendal, stop that! How can you do that in front of a child? Besides, I'm the one who saved him and brought him here!" Yuri yelled and Gwendal sent him a glare as well.

"You must stop, Gwendal. It is the will of His Highness," added Conrad.

Gwendal relaxed his tense posture at that slightly and finally gave in to my pushing. He stepped back and away from the stretcher while closing his eyes and sighing deeply to regain composure. He sheathed his sword and pushed me away from him gently.

"Take him to the castle," he snapped to the soldiers and they took Hube away without a word.

I sighed in relief and tugged on Gwendal's sleeve to persuade him to the horses. I got on behind him while Greta sat in front of Yuri. The short trip to the castle was agonizingly silent and we were greeted by an almost saint-like Günter when we entered the entrance courtyard. Strain was noticeable on his face – perhaps from all the worrying he had done when we were away – and I couldn't stifle a laugh that escaped when he fussed over Yuri.

Gwendal was still on his horse glaring at Hube and everyone else too seemed quite stressed about Hube's return to the castle. Nicola was the only one who was happy and relieved to see him and held his hand as he was taken away to one of the rooms of the castle to be healed by Gisela. Once Hube was out of sight, Gwendal got off his horse and walked into the castle scowling.

The atmosphere in the castle was tense and we knew that it wouldn't ease out anytime soon. We dispersed through and I joined Yuri and Greta on a casual stroll through the castle's gardens. Greta was still very worried, wishing that Hube would get better soon and be forgiven for what he had done because he was a very good person at heart. She told Yuri that she wanted to do everything in her power to help Hube which had made Yuri all emotional. Not surprisingly, he had hugged Greta, with the words 'my sweet daughter' rolling out of his mouth in the midst of his shower of affection.

"You've really grown up, Yuri," I said, ruffling his hair when he was standing. Now that I took a moment to observe him, I noticed that he was the same height as me and it wouldn't be long before he became taller than me, just like Shori. He was growing up into a fine young man...and Demon King.