Chapter 12 - Settling Matters

Anzu pov:

Grisela Gugunhuber...meeting him here was definitely unexpected, but what was more unexpected was the fact that he had attacked Conrad with an intent to kill. Why was he here? Why had he attacked Conrad?

"Conrad," I said, breaking the silence that had settled around us, "we should take him to our inn and have a doctor look at him."

Conrad merely met my gaze surprised by my words but Wolfram roared, "Are you crazy?! Who would take this guy with them?!"

"We don't know why he attacked us, Wolfram. I guess attacking his supposed-to-be allies isn't a good thing but I still think we should find out the reason for his actions. Besides, Nicola is still hoping to see him and she and her child need him. We should take him with us so we can tie him up and interrogate him later," I said, still looking at Conrad.

"Anzu has a point, you know?" Yuri supported.

"Very well," Conrad agreed reluctantly with a sigh. He hauled Hube onto his back and carried him to our suite in the inn. After laying him down on one of the beds, Conrad left to find a doctor.

In the time the doctor was checking up on Hube, I freshened up a bit and got something to eat to silence my grumbling stomach. I joined the others in the room after that, noticing that the doctor wasn't around anymore.

"What did the doctor say?" I asked Conrad and he narrowed his eyes at Hube.

"The doctor said that tonight is crucial for his recovery," he answered. Looks like Hube was in pretty bad shape, perhaps from a previous injury as well as the one that Conrad had given him.

"Hube, we're finally together again! Wake up!" Greta begged while holding his hand. I sighed inaudibly and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Greta, you should let him rest. He needs time to recover and trying to wake him up isn't a good idea," I said gently and she met my eyes sad and worried.

"Yeah, Anzu is right! I'm sure he'll wake up soon," Yuri reassured and she glanced at him once as well.

"But why would he try to attack Yuri?" Wolfram pondered, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Actually, he seemed to want to attack Conrad. Yuri was probably just in the way," I said only to receive a glare.

"Don't go supporting him! He's the enemy right now!" he yelled at me angrily.

"Look, we don't know why he did it. Maybe he didn't know that Yuri is the demon king," I defended, not wanting to pin a crime on someone without proof. Wolfram scoffed and turned his head away defiantly.

"I think he wanted me to go all out on him," Conrad mumbled and I noticed Greta become incredibly sad.

"I'm sure he did," she said barely above a whisper, "because he wanted to die."

"What do you mean, Greta?" Yuri asked.

Greta first told us how she met Hube in the castle she lived in before. Hube was prisoner there and she had spent a lot of time talking to him, considering him as her friend because she was lonely. As they got closer, Hube had confessed that he had done something unforgivable, something that he felt very guilty about. As punishment for his wrongdoings, he was sent to search for the Demon Flute – which he did find along with Nicola and soon fell in love with her. He was caught soon after though and put in prison.

He had come to believe that he didn't deserve happiness. He didn't deserve to forget the sins of his past and move on and could never be forgiven for them either. Feeling sympathetic for him, Greta had helped him escape from the prison hold, following which Hube had dropped her off in the Great Demon Kingdom along with the royal emblem that he had with him. He set out on a journey to find someone to kill him after that.