Chapter 9 - A Gift

Gwendal pov:

I walked stiffly through the hallways, ignoring the looks I got from the soldiers and the maids as I headed to the room where the princess was resting. I couldn't believe or understand why I was so worried about the princess, perhaps even more than His Majesty was worried, and why I couldn't stop myself from visiting her more than five times a day. I was desperately waiting for her to wake and show me, I mean, us that she was alright.

Every visit I made to her room had me recalling the time we had spent together. The most time we had been together was in Svelera and that was the time when I had got to know her better. I remembered the conversations we had had, mostly quenching my curiosity of what kind of people she and His Majesty were, as well as when we had stayed in the prison cell together and how she had worried about me then and after.

I clenched my fists remembering how she had supported me against herself when I could barely stand, how oddly comfortable it felt when she was sitting behind me on my horse and holding onto my sides on our way back to the Great Demon Kingdom and how she had been so comfortable leaning with her back against mine while she played the Demon Flute.

I couldn't comprehend the frustration and restlessness I was feeling because of the princess.

I tightened my fists as another soldier I passed by eyed me and seemed to hold back a smile of amuse. I had been trying to keep my visits to check up on the princess a secret but it was mostly in vain. The hallways were almost never empty and I'm sure that it wasn't just the soldiers and maids who had noticed my odd behavior but my brothers as well. Conrad was especially observant so I'm sure he knew that I was a lot more frustrated than usual. To hell with it though – I was more concerned about the princess recovering quickly than hiding my concern for her.

When I was in front of her room doors, I took a moment to keep my composure. Inhaling deeply, I opened the door and stepped in only to narrow my eyes at what I saw. The princess was awake and sitting up while leaning into Josak. I couldn't explain the sudden irk that I felt but I clenched my jaw and merely narrowed my eyes at Josak who smiled sheepishly, like he had been caught stealing something.

"You should be lying down," I said, now looking at the princess who gave me a weak smile.

"Hey, Gwendal...it's good to see you," she said, making my stomach do a flip.

"Uh, I just came to see how the princess was doing. I'll head out now," Josak said when I sent him another sharp look. He laid the princess down on the pillows, gave me a bow and left the room while closing the door behind him. I then exhaled deeply, relaxing my tense posture a bit while mentally cursing at myself.

"Josak told me that I was unconscious for three days," the princess said while staring at the ceiling.

"Your body needed to rest after what happened," I responded flatly.

"Yeah..." she mumbled and then met my eyes. "Could you give me some water, please? My throat is really dry."

I knew that I would have to help her and made the strange queasiness bubble in the pit of my stomach. Nonetheless, I got a glass of water from the bedside table before helping her sit up. I sat behind her and let her lean against me for support before holding the glass in front of her. She placed her hands on mine, her touch gentle yet electrifying, and guided the glass to her lip.

When she had quenched her thirst, I put the glass aside and shifted to get up so I could lay her down again but tensed when she leaned more against me, resting her head on my shoulder.

"Just for a little while," she mumbled and I looked away, embarrassed.

Anzu pov:

Leaning against Gwendal was warm and comforting...blissful even. I felt a little embarrassed for I had only bandages covering me and I was hyper aware of the warmth of Gwendal's hand that was on my bare shoulder. I'm sure he too was embarrassed by my forwardness because I could feel his heart thumping fast against my back.