Chapter 21 - Alliance

Anzu pov:

We had just returned from Cavalcade after cleaning up some matters there, with Yuri on my back after he had fallen unconscious because of all the stress. After putting Yuri to bed, I had freshened up a bit and come to stand in the garden of Francia's royal palace. We had nothing to do now, at least until tomorrow morning when Yuri signed the allegiance with King Pierre of Francia.

I sighed softly while gazing up at the moon – it was a pleasant night but the circumstance was far from pleasant. Conrad was to be imprisoned until a decision was taken about his recent behavior and everyone was really tense because of that. Of course, we were all glad that Conrad hadn't betrayed us but judgment had to be passed in order to soothe the other people of the Great Demon Kingdom and human countries. All this political chaos was always so stressful!

The good thing though, was that I had at least one less thing to worry about – Gwendal. I had been rather embarrassing in front of him when he had apologize, crying like a child, but he had only comforted me and kept my moment of waterworks a secret from the others.

Shaking my head, I decided to go check up on Yuri. When I reached his room, the door was open and I could hear Günter, Gwendal, Wolfram and Ken talking to him. I let myself in and narrowed my eyes at Yuri who was staring at the ground, frowning upon hearing news of Conrad's arrest. Yuri wanted to see Conrad but it had to be put off for later because of the allegiance signing.

In usual cases, Gwendal would have be the one to take care of these kinds of things but Yuri had become quite famous for his unbiased opinion of humans and Demon Tribe so he had to sign the alliance this time. While they spoke about how the alliance meeting would be proceeded with, I looked out of the window of the corridor, having stepped away from the doors, my mind wandering to Conrad. I wished that there was some way for me to help him...but what could I do?

"Aa chan?" Ken called suddenly, having come to stand beside me, making me nearly jump out of my skin in surprise. I looked at him with a hand over my racing heart.

"Goodness, Ken, you shouldn't sneak up on people like that. You startled me," I said laughing.

"Oops, sorry about that, Aa chan," he apologized with a bright smile. "But why didn't you come in?"

He coaxed me to follow him into the room and I was greeted by warm smiles from everyone. "Everyone was talking so seriously so I didn't want to interrupt," I answered Ken.

"It's a good thing you're here now, Princess," said Günter. "You are also an important signing member in the alliance today!"

"You want me to sing the alliance too?" I asked, surprised.

"Yes, Princess Anzu. Your kindness and generosity has also become well known through the Demon Kingdom and the human lands. Your status is equal to that of His Majesty so you will also be signing the alliance," Gwendal said and I rubbed my neck with a flustered smile.

"Gosh, I feel flustered."

The smile Gwendal gave while looking at me was barely noticeable and disappeared almost as quickly as it had come. I blushed at that, seemingly reversing our roles, and averted my wyes to Günter who spoke again. "Your Majesty, Princess Anzu, you must get ready now."

Nodding, I left to get changed into a simple white gown and tied half of my hair up. Lady Celi helped me put on some light makeup and we walked to the throne room together to commence the alliance treaty signing event. It had been ages since I had worn a dress and I felt awkward under the stares I received as I entered the throne room. I glanced at Gwendal, blushing at how handsome he looked in the new outfit he wore and it only worsened when I noticed him avert his eyes from me with a blush as well. I inhaled deeply to regain composure and stopped to stand next to Yuri.