Chapter 8 - Forever and ever?!

"Hnnnggggg"

I groan into my pillow as I'm awakened by the maddeningly annoying sound of my phone ringing. Blindly feeling around my bedside table, I find my phone and pick it up, blinking in the bright white light of the screen. A single notification glows on my lock screen, alerting me that I have 13 missed calls. My heart practically skips a beat when I notice they are all from Jason.

"Crap."

The single word escapes my lips in a croaky whisper. Fearing the worst, I call him back and lay there waiting for him to pick up.

"Taylor? Oh, Taylor! Finally!"

He greets me similarly to how an excited puppy would when it first sees its owner after a long holiday.

"Jason, it's 7 in the morning. What's so urgent?"

I try to hide the irritated tone of my voice.

"Taylor, I- I can't stop thinking about you. Ever since I left your house yesterday, you've been the only thing on my mind..."

Oh, God. Just when I thought I'd found a perfect guy, turns out he's one of those clingy ones who thinks he's in love with you after one night together.

"Taylor, there is something real between us. The chemistry between us- I- I've never felt anything like it before..."

"Yeah, uh..."

"Come on, Taylor, we're perfect. We're going to be together forever, I just know it."

His voice exclaims through the phone with such enthusiasm that I almost consider going along with what he's saying. But I know it's ridiculous, so instead I slam back onto the bed, my hand flying for my forehead in an exasperated facepalm. The two seconds of silence seem to distress Jason.

"Taylor? TAYLOR, HELLOO!"

"Yeah, yeah, Jason. I think we should talk face to face if you just give me a minute to get dressed-"

"Oh, yes, of course, sweetie, take all the time you need! So, 7:10 outside your house?"

I stop scrambling out of bed long enough the check the time on the phone I have pressed to my ear. The glowing screen tells me it's 7:08.

"I'll see you at 8. Bye."

I hang up with a huff.

* * *

It takes all of my strength to push open that front door, but somehow I manage it. As I clamber down the porch steps, I can't help but feel as if what I'm about to do is going to feel like taking candy from a baby, or ignoring a puppy, or basically like anything that you're never supposed to do and you instantly feel guilty about doing afterwards. But nevertheless, I meet Jason's natural joyful grin with a small smile, trying to keep it put as he takes my hands in his own and kisses one lightly.

"Hey, babe."

He murmurs, his eyes boring into mine somewhat unblinkingly as I greet him back.

"Look, I really need you to hear me when I say this."

He cocks his head slightly to show he's listening.

"I had fun last night, ok, I think we both did, but, um, the thing is-"

He blinks at me, clueless as ever.

"I'd really like it if we just, uh, slowed down a bit, you know, I did only meet you the other day-"

I try to ignore his brow furrowing and his mouth turning to a frown.

"But, Tay, what did I do-"

"-look, it's not like the things you said yesterday and this morning weren't sweet and all, a-and I really did appreciate them, it's just that I feel like we're rushing into this, and it's just not the right time to get so serious so fast and, uh, you know-"

I stumble over my words carelessly, and Jason's eyes only seem to get darker and darker in color as I speak. I decide to stopping talking altogether, realizing that my point's come across quite clearly.

"Sorry, Jas-"

I start to say, before the sudden revving of an engine distracts me mid-apology.

"Naw, it's alright, Tay. Don't worry about it."

Jason replies bluntly before dropping my hands and racing back down the street to his house at an incredible speed. I sigh exaggeratedly. Man, was I stupid for thinking he wouldn't be bitter about it and that we could actually remain friends.

"Taylor."

I turn to see Harry leaning against one of the massive Maseratis he has parked in front of his house, a teasing smirk playing at his face. It seems that this is a new facial expression that he's only developed over the past day, and is now very fond of greeting me with.

Well, I'd take a smirk over his petrifying scowl any day.