Chapter 15 - Don't get attached.

Confusion overtakes my features as Harry leans back against his open door, extending his arm to allow them in. Soon they've all sauntered through, and Harry reaches down to grab the trash bag he dropped, before muttering,

-"Come right in. Assholes."

- through his teeth sarcastically. I can't help but burst into giggles at that, and Harry looks up again, an eyebrow raising in confusion. I try to apologise for my outburst, before moving closer to him, my hands finding the pockets of my jean shorts.

"Thanks for that, Harry."

I mutter, before my tone turns more serious. I try to catch his eye.

"Honestly, I really appreciate it."

I say quietly. His pale green eyes seem to be searching mine for something, but he soon just nods his head curtly.

"Did he-"

He sighs.

"What did he-"

I can see the awkwardness behind Harry's eyes as he tries to ask me what damage Derek managed to inflict, so I save him the time by lifting my crop top lightly to reveal the pink indentation in my side. Furrowing my brows, I sigh tiredly.

"I assume he would've done a lot worse if he was given the chance but...it's really nothing, thanks to you."

I pretend to shrug it off, noticing he's staring fixedly at me, once again seeming as if he's searching my eyes for something.

"Hey, just a -uh- douchebag, I guess..."

I mutter, trying desperately to lighten the mood before everything gets too serious and he storms off again. I try to hold his unwavering stare, but it's just too much considering my undeniable growing feelings for those eyes, so I look away, my hands finding my pockets again.

"Ok. I'll see you-"

He starts, before realizing what he said. I meet his blazing stare once again, narrowing my eyes slightly and wondering how he manages to hide so much emotion behind them without simply exploding into a million pieces. We stand less than a meter apart, but I just feel further from him then ever before.

I thought I was managing to gaze at him without too much affection, but clearly I was wrong, because he steps slightly closer to me, lowering his voice so it sounds similar to how he spoke to Derek earlier on, but much gentler and with less of a 'I'm gonna kill you' tone to it, of course.

"...Don't get attached to me, Taylor."

I stumble back slightly at his abrupt statement. It appears that although Harry is quite unfamiliar with emotions, when he is confronted with them, he isn't afraid to speak out and put an end to them instantly. I try to reply with confidence but my voice is already trembling from the impact of the events of the past few minutes.

"I'm sorry, but-"

"-Don't get attached to me, Taylor. Just... don't."

The building lump in my throat forbids me from saying anything in reply. So, instead of speaking, I just stand there gulping forcefully because I desperately don't want to cry in front of him, especially since he would know he is definitely the cause of it.

"I will see you around..."

He states again, not noticing the tears starting to brim in my blue eyes. He's just turned away when a tear escapes, and I inhale sharply as my vision is blurred with the forming tears.

I never cry for boys. Ever. But for some reason, Harry's rejection cuts deeper than anyone else's has.

My throat is dry and I desperately want to cry out loud but I also don't want him to hear me, because he still hasn't reached his front door.

But, just my luck, he turns around at the last second, his eyes instantly widening.

"Are-are you crying?"

He asks, stepping back down his steps and looking exasperated.

"N-no."

I mutter stupidly.

"Oh, um. Right, please stop, though."

I try to chuckle at his reaction to emotions, but it comes out silently. I try to straighten up, wiping my eyes ferociously and praying that the few tears that have managed to escape my eyes and are now streaming down my face don't diminish the small shred of respect he has left for me.

"Oh, ok...please don't cry, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you-"

He scurries forward, his defined features instantly taking a dejected look, as well as looking supremely awkward and lost as to what to do at my sudden outburst. I shudder annoyedly, a small smile trying to tug at my lips.

I turn away, feeling embarrassed and stupid and unwanted , and start walking away hurriedly.

"I- I am so sorry about...uh, me...b- bye."

I rush away, squeezing my eyes shut and releasing the inevitable waterfall of tears and a sob as I race into my house.

I crumble onto the couch instantly, finally realising how difficult this new crush is going to be.

* * *