Chapter 10

America's Pov:

A wave of nausea washed over me and I collapsed to my knees.

"Mer!" Aspen bent down and wrapped his arms around me. "Stay with me, don't leave me again."

My head was pounding, but I attempted to stand.

I stumbled for a moment, but Aspen held me tight.

A man walked over to us. I looked up at him. I tried to back away from him, but aspens embrace held me in place. At least I had him with me.

"She's probably feeling sick from her coma. Maybe she needs some water?" He said. Although I could tell he was talking to Aspen. It was like I wasn't even there.

"I'm standing right here." I rasped.

He smirked. "Don't get smart with me."

He turned and walked away.

"Jerk." I mumbled.

"No he isn't Mer." Aspen said letting me go. "He was trying to help you! You were slipping out of consciousness like this earlier. While I was waiting for you to get up!"

"I'm sorry, but I don't know or trust these people!" I yelled.

All of the talking and commotion stopped. Uh oh. Those probably weren't the right choice of words.

Everyone turned and stared at me.

The same man from just moments ago stood up. "It's the coma shock. Her memory is a little jumbled right now."

Some of the people laughed and went back to what they were doing.

I pushed Aspen away and walked over to the man.

"Why did you say that?" I asked.

"If you hadn't noticed you made everyone angry. Here honey it's eat or be eaten. Let's just say, 'I was being nice'"

"I'm sorry...,"  I mumbled.

He raised an eyebrow at me and searched my face with his eyes.

"I shouldn't have freaked out like that. It wasn't your fault..."

He held his hand up. "You're tired and don't know what's happening or where you are. I know. We're here to make the world a better place. You just have to trust us. We will get you the help that you need."

I gave him a small fake smile. Like the ones I used to give Maxon. "Can we start with that water?"

He smiled back at me. "Of course, then I can explain to you what our plan is."