Chapter 11

America's Pov:

He handed me the glass of water and sighed. I turned around and faced Aspen. "Maybe it's best if you wait here or somewhere else." I said bitting my lip.

He narrowed his eyes. "You... you don't want me to come with you?"

I really did want him to come with me. I didn't want him to get hurt if I was. I didn't even know this guys name. For all I knew he would kill me. Right here, right now. "Aspen, it's just for a few seconds. Okay?" I said in a playful tone.

He gave me some odd looks then nodded. He pulled me into a hug.

"Thank you." I whispered into his ear.

"Stay safe." He whispered and then pulled away. "Okay, I'll see you in a bit."

He turned and began walking away. My hand slowly slipped from him. I took a deep breath in and turned around. He was staring at me with a stone cold glare. I tried to speak but I couldn't. His presence terrified me.

"So he's your husband?" He finally said.

"Oh...Uh, no." I stared at the ground.

"Hmmm"

Awkward silence filled the air again. It bit at my lips. Begging them to speak. I pushed my shoulders back a bit and looked up at him.

"So what's your name?" I asked.

"Marcus." He looked me over quickly.

"It's America."

He frowned. "Of course I know who you are."

"Oh, well then why did you bring me here?"

He held his hand up. "Do I not get to ask you a question?"

"Oh." I hadn't expected that. I thought he brought me over here to tell me why I was here. Not to play twenty questions.

"What were you doing out in the middle of the woods? At night."

"That's a tough question. Since I only asked you what your name was."

He sighed, "this isn't a game. Answer the damn question."

"We were out running around being stupid. We shouldn't have been out I know."

"Don't lie." He growled. I could see his eyes skimming over me.

I guess I should've known that story was false by what I was wearing. I sighed. Should I tell him the truth? What would happen if I did? I shook the thought away. Nothing would happen. That should've been obvious. Right? "What makes you say that?" I went with my gut and avoided the question.

"Those diamonds on your neck."

I grabbed the necklace Maxon gave me. I should've taken it off, but I forgot. I ripped it off my neck and threw it into the dirt.

Marcus smirked. "They only give those to royalty sweetheart."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "Of course they do." I mumbled.

"I'll tell you about our plan, but you have to tell me how you got that necklace first. Deal?"

I took a deep breath. I looked over toward Aspen. What would he want me to do? But he wasn't by my side right now. I would have to make this decision on my own. I stood a bit taller. "Alright, you have a deal."