Chapter Fourteen: Comfort and Joy

The lukewarm water pooled down the top of my head, pattering against the tile floor beneath me. The temperature of the water was gradually dropping, considering I'd been in here for nearly an hour. My fingertips had turned as wrinkled as they could get, but I couldn't bring myself to care.

Today was the day my mother died right in front of me. I was nine years old when it happened, but the memory still haunts me to this day. It'd been a car crash, and I had been with my brother at school when she was coming to pick us up and her car was rammed into by a drunk driver, who also died that day. 

By the time my brother and I got to her, she was already on the brink of death, and the paramedic told us there was nothing they could do. I had screamed and shouted at them, and my brother had held me back, telling me not to waste me time on them while mother was dying.

When I'd approached my mom, she managed to smile weakly at me, shakily offering her hand. I flinched seeing the various bruises and cuts she'd endured, but pushed those thoughts aside and took her hand.

 "It's time for me to go, my babygirl," her voice cracked. "But I want you to know I will always love you, even though I can't be here to show it."

"Mama, don't go," I pleaded, tears streaming down my face.

"Take care of her," mother said, and I realized she wasn't talking to me. I felt my brother's arm slide around my shoulder, hugging me tightly. "I love you both so much, and am very proud of you. I've lived my time, but you'll find happiness, and sometimes, it'll come in completely unexpected ways. I want you to hold onto it and never let it go." that was the last thing she ever said, because after that, her eyes glazed over, the last bit of life disappearing completely.

I clamped my hand over my mouth and burrowed my head in my brother's shirt, my tears dampening his clothes. His arms were wrapped around me, and I could feel his own tears spill down onto my hair. The sound of a car door slamming shut drew our attention, and we both turned to see our father there, his expression lifeless, much like mother now.

"No....." he breathed, falling to his wife's side. "Honey, please, you can't die now." his tears mirrored our own. Crawling over to him, I wrapped my tiny arms around his one big one.

"Papa?" he looked down at me, his features softening. 

"Everything's going to be fine, babygirl," he pulled me into his lap. "Mommy's okay. She's gone to a better place now......"

Drops of water slid down my face, and I couldn't tell if it was my tears, or just the water from the shower. I hugged my knees closer to my chest, pressing my back against the tile wall. I heard the front door of the apartment open and close, but I barely registered it. "Y/N?"Adam. "Y/N!" his voice echoed through the apartment, fear and concern weighing down his tone. "Y/N! The door was unlocked, where are you?"

I didn't reply; I listened to him go from room to room, and knew it was only a matter of time before he reached me. There were only so many rooms in our apartment. The door to the bathroom flew open, and I could see his shadow outlined against the translucent curtain. 

"Y/N," the curtain was pushed aside, and I lifted my head to look at him. Strands of wet hair clung to the sides of my face, and I'm positive my eyes were red. "Oh, shit," he stepped into the shower, clothed and all. "Today's the day, isn't it?"

I nodded feebly, all my strength seeming to have left my body. "Oh, Y/N," Adam's expression saddened, and he took me in his arms, seating himself on the floor of the shower. His soaked shirt stuck to his chest, and I could feel every muscle of his chest as I burrowed into him. 

My naked body pressed up against his clothed one, and all my tears came slipping out. "It hurts," I whimpered, clutching onto him as if he'd suddenly float away.

"I know it does," Adam soothed, running his hand through my stringy, wet hair. "The pain's never going to go away, but I promise you it does fade with time. And the right people. People who love and care about you."

"Then why does it still feel like it happened yesterday?" my voice came out in muffled sobs, and it was a miracle Adam could understand anything I said.

"Everything's going to be fine," he promised. I immediately thought of my father when he said those words, and knew he was right. Everything would be okay. I know it now. You'll find happiness, my mother's vow ran through my head, and I felt a smile bloom on my lips.

"You're right, Adam," I looked up at him, linking my arms around his neck. "I have everything and everyone I could ever want right here, and I couldn't be happier."You were right mom, you were always right. Happiness will come in the most unexpected of ways. Hold onto it and never let it go. 

I brought Adam's lips down to mine, kissing him passionately. His hands slid down to my hips, holding me firmly against him. We broke apart, panting, and Adam smiled softly, tucking a wet curl behind my ear. "I love you so much, Y/N," his breath intermingled with mine.People who love and care about you, Y/N. Adam was my happiness, the only one who could help the pain fade.

"I love you, too, Adam."

Never let it go.

A/n:by SherlockedWhyNot