Part 3 Stepmother

The princess bowed to the knight, “I will help you of course. But If I do you will always be the knight who needed help from the princess. How would you expect to stand on your own from then on?”

She came to the meeting spot after school, just as the day before. No longer fearing the boy would not be there. He said he would, and Ayla unknowingly started to trust him.

As she peeled away the bushes, and saw his form standing next to the willow.

“Hey Kazuki, “She called out, “Wait long.”

A women turned to face Ayla. Kazuki was nowhere in sight. Maybe it was her ego that made her believe that no one else would find this spot beneath the willow. Kazuki had found it, what was to say no one else could.

The women strode confidently over to Ayla, a slight swagger to her hips. Her long red hair trailing neatly past her shoulders.

“Did you say Kazuki?” she asked. Her tone courteous.

“Uh, may I ask who you are?”

“Oh dear me, How can I be so rude.” She bowed, “My name is Mrs. Pini.”

Ayla bowed herself, “Ayla.”

“I seem to have misheard you earlier, But did you say Kazuki?”

“Why?”

“My son went missing a few days ago, I was wondering if that was who you were referring to.”

Ayla took a step back. Something about this women just didn't sit right with her. Maybe it was the way her tongue unnaturally said son, or maybe it was the fact that that she intruded on Ayla's sanctuary. “Was he a boy?”

Mrs. Pini's eyes lit up.

Ayla continued, “ A boy about this high.” She stretched her hand way above her. “Long black hair and black skin. That boy?”

Mrs. Pini's expression sunk, “No that doesn’t seem like him.”

Seem? Wasn't she supposed to be his mother? Ayla started to back away slowly. “Maybe if you gave me a example I might be able to tell you if I've seen him before. I could even get a group of my friends to help look.”

The women hurriedly replied, “No-no That’s okay. It'll be better if I just look on my own.”

“You sure?” Ayla asked.

“Positive.”

“I could help, It wouldn't be any trouble at all. My brother is really good at finding people.”

“I WOULD NEVER ACCEPT HELP FROM A MAN!”

Crap! Ayla thought, Maybe I met one of those terrorist supporters I've been hearing about. I think I know why Kazuki said his stepmother would make it harder for him to live.

The woman’s face turned ashen, “Maybe it would be best if I were to go.” She rushed off carrying her outburst with her. Was she so afraid of others knowing that she possessed those strong beliefs? Was their a reason why she did not want others to know?

Ayla just watched in silence as Pini left.

She walked over to her perch, and let herself relax against the tree, sliding slowly to the ground.

Something hard hit her on the top of the head, an apple rolled to her feet.

“As thanks,” said a boy's voice coming from inside the tree.

“For what?”

Kazuki smiled, “Getting that witch to leave, who knows when she would notice me up there. I didn't exactly have much time to hide.”

“Was that your stepmother.”

“You could say that. Kinda. In a completely wrong way.”

“So she's not?” Ayla asked.

“Oh she is. As is her supporters. Its a joint effort.”

“Joint effort?”

“Never mind that. Just eat, those apples are tasty.”

Ayla took a bite from the apple. The sour taste stung her tongue and she could barely swallow. She smiled and forced the bite down.

“Good huh?” He asked.

“Yeah....” She replied half heartedly.

Kazuki jumped out of the tree, landing silently next to her. “So did ya talk to your parents?”

Ayla shook her head. “Not yet.”

“Why?”

“These things take time.”

“No they don't. Getting your heart ready takes time. Telling others your opinions take less than a minute. Take it from someone who knows, waiting to speak will only lead to a regret that you can't quench.”

“So will you help?”

“Of course, If you need it. But if I do help just remember that It'll be harder for you to speak the next time. If I help the next time, it will be even harder to speak the time after that. Its best to use your own power to get your point across, otherwise you'll never stand on your own.”