Part 17 Interlude

Kazuki held the book the same way someone would hold a smelly sock. Far away with his head turned to the side. His face was bright red, the cool wind of the night, causing a light steam to arise from him. He took another peak at the book, only to turn away his face becoming even redder.

He had to do what? Dates did what? What. What. What?

Kazuki took a deep breath regaining himself. The ghost gave him this book out of the kindness of his heart. (Do ghosts have hearts?) He should read it for the ghost at least.

He pulled the book back towards him, reading quickly the words written within. He held his breath, the pain in his lungs distracting him from the words within. Though that could only last so long. He dropped the book.

There is no way he could do such a thing. Do you have to do that at a date? Just for an apology?

He stood dazed as more and more steam faded into the night.

He needed to prepare for the date. He had something to do.

Zachariah was pacing. He was worried. He knew Ayla would catch the datestamp on those tickets, but he had no idea what they would do because of it. It would be completely impossible for Kazuki to plan a date. And Ayla, was well random. What she did had no correspondence too what she knew. He half believed that she was just acting dense to her emotions. But that wouldn't make sense. She acted dense on anything that involved Kazuki.

It is unlikely for a crush to form over a short period of time anyway. Even for Kazuki at school, the only reason he has girls smothering him is because he looks somewhat cute in their eyes. Not a emotion strong enough to be seen as real. They just want something new to look at.

He took a rather bothersome sigh. Taking a look towards the direction of the park. 'Then theirs that novel,' he thought regrettably, 'Kazuki might not even show up at the date because of it. Who knew his mind would be that pure.'

He took a second to rethink Kazuki's past. Well crap, he should have been the one to know.

Well he knows now, He had something to do.

Fray sat around on the couch with a smug look on his face. Ayla was rushing back and forth in the house, trying on random outfits and other nonsense. He had to remind her on more than one occasion that they were just going to hang out as friends.

Kazuki didn't say to Ayla this was a date. Knowing Kazuki, he would not even comprehend what a date was. Though in Ayla's mind it could not be anything less. He could have sworn, his sister was not this dense before.

Fray sat pondering muttering aloud to himself, “Why would he ask her out. That doesn’t seem like him. Was it someone else idea? No that can't be. He doesn’t have any other friends.”

Fray sighed, leaning himself back on the coach, kicking his feet back up on the coffee table. He had something to do.

Greer sat alone with Mrs. Pinifer. An irritated scowl on her face. “They are going on a date. Why are they going on a date. I though you said your son was too pure to even think of such a thing.”

“Did I say that?” Mrs. Pinifer asked dryly, “Well that was taking into account that he wasn't being backed up by a rather bothersome rat.”

“What if he succeeds. What if he accomplishes that task.”

Mrs. Pinifer smiled honestly, “Then we give up.”

Ms. Greer had a small vein pulsing in her neck, a violent feeling bubbling up within her. “Before that happens I'll-”

“But-,” Mrs. Pinifer added, “If you want, no one ever said you couldn't interfere. I gave him three months. Not three unimpeded months. My dear, this is a game and games are meant to played with everyone.”

Ms. Greer sat up looking out the window into the garden, where a red headed girl was still looking for her brother not willing to give up, “What about the rat.”

Mrs. Pinifer shrugged her shoulders, “Oh I don't care, get a cat to snap the things neck off. Just make sure not to alert any authorities when you do. I do not enjoy such annoyances.”

Ms. Greer merely nodded, slightly bowing her head. Leaving the room in a hurry. She had something to do.