Part 24 Fever

Kazuki sat alone on the sofa, as both Fray and Ayla had taken the couch. Ayla however had her arms crossed in a annoyed manner, as Kazuki had yet to explain what had exactly happened on the train. Both with his collapse and Ms. Greer.

His gaze was pensive and downcast, he knew he owed her at least this much. As she taken care of him in moment of extreme weakness. But for some reason he did not want her to know of his past. Kazuki did not want her to feel sadness for his sake. No matter how small that possibility maybe.

He looked up into her strong willed gaze, as Fray silently prodded him on. Still snickering to himself on a joke he had yet to inform Kazuki on.

The willows frequent companion, opened his mouth slowly. Having to form the words beforehand to prevent saying something he might soon regret. “I was born in a rich family. My mother had died after giving birth to my sister, a year after I was born.”

Although he spoke of his past, it sounded detached and unrelated. Almost as if it was a work of fiction. “My dad remarried soon after I turned eight years old.”

Ayla had leaned forward, a natural pose of someone who was interested in something that was being said. Fray was leaned back in his seat, staring up at the ceiling dazed. He had already heard the story up to this point. No that wasn't quite right, Kazuki had told him his story a considerable degree past this, and in much more detail.

“All was fine up to the day my father died. She revealed her other face that very day. One filled with corruption, greed, and a wrath towards males.”

He bit his tongue, realizing he said something that he might regret. Ayla's expectant gaze didn't falter, and he breathed a internal sigh of relief. “They locked me up in a drak room for two years. I did not see the light for so long.” His voice started to shake, emotion bleeding its way into his words. He clenched his fist tightly. “In order to survive I had to give in. If the opportunity presented itself I would try to escape.”

The doorbell rang, ending Kazuki's next sentence before it had even begun. Fray got up off the couch without his sisters prodding to answer it.

The door opened with a slight creak. A man clad in a cheap business suit walked in nonchalantly in much the same way he walked in last time. Briefly brushing the top of frays head, who had hurriedly swiped it away.

Fray did not trust the words Zachariah weaved, but he did trust the man. He knew that Zachariah would not harm either them nor Kazuki. Not in a physical sense anyway.

After Zachariah spotted Kazuki, a brief flash of incomprehension flickered by, then his smile returned. “Kazuki, I hadn't expected you to be awake. The last time you had your little episode you were having fits for a month.”

The boys expression was one of confusion. He did not understand how the businessman had known this. But then again, why would a host not know such things?

Zachariah ignored Kazuki's blatant expression, and turned to face Ayla, “So did Kazuki wake up on his own? So soon?”

Kazuki noticed Ayla's cheeks take a slightly reddish hue. Did she have a fever?

“No” She said weakly, “I did what you told me to do.”

Zachariah was nearly on the ground clutching his ribs trying to contain his laughter. “Ayla, That was just something I said as a passing joke.”

“B-but B-but” She stuttered.

Zachariah sat down next to Ayla whispering silently into her ear, “It worked.”

Fray had taken the chance to reclaim his spot on the other side of Ayla on the couch. Three people now sat across from Kazuki. The people who sat on the outer edges of the couch had light cheerful and relaxed expressions. While Ayla who was trapped in the center was bright red, and stiff.

Zachariah said quiet enough so Kazuki could not hear, “Did you enjoy the kiss with our little sleeping prince?”

The tips of her ears started to burn red.

Kazuki sat up worried. Before standing and walking over to her. Placing the inside of his wrist on Ayla's forehead, which inadvertently brought his face closer to hers.

“Do you have a fever, “ He asked.

The heat beneath his wrist grew warmer.

Zachariah leaned back in his seat in order to face Fray who was on the other side of Ayla. “Maybe we should leave these two lovebirds alone?”

As if in sync, both the brother and the businessman got up off the couch and headed into the kitchen.

The heat beneath Kazuki's wrist grew even warmer.

“Do you have any medicine. Your fever is getting really bad.”

Ayla gently slide off Kazuki's hand, Shaking her head as if to tell him that she did not have a fever.

Kazuki however treated her reaction as if she answered his later question not his former. The fact that she had a fever already firmly engrained in his thought process.

How are you supposed to treat a fever without medicine? Should he go buy some from a nearby store? Were was the local store?

Ayla said swiftly, finally grasping enough nerve to react, “I'm fine.”

Kazuki still persistent that Ayla had a fever, couldn't help but reconfirm, “Are you sure?”

She nodded her head, giving a slight smile that caused Kazuki's heart to skip a beat. He sat back on the sofa chair, feeling his forehead with his own wrist. His face was hot. Was he getting a fever too?

Taking a quick glance around the room, he became awfully aware at how it was only the two of them. Fray and the Ghost nowhere in sight. How odd, being alone with Ayla had never bothered him before. He unconsciously touched his tingling lips, a memory not entirely his own still lingering upon them.

Silence pervaded between the two of them.

As if only to break this silence, Kazuki glanced outside. “I-I s-hould be heading back to my place. B-before it gets to dark.”

Ayla's embarrassed reaction faded as she was faced with a new puzzle. “Kazuki” She asked, looking up at him expectantly, “Where exactly do you stay?”

He went silent unwilling to answer. Unable to lie.

“Kazuki,” she repeated, “Where do you stay?”

“Willow.” He mumbled.

“I see,” She said understanding, “Does this willow place have a bed?”

He nodded, grass made a good cushion.

“Does this place have a roof?”

He nodded again, thinking of the over hanging branches that fended off a good deal of the rain.

Ayla mouth curled up into a light smirk, “Does this place have walls.

Kazuki shook his head submissively having lost.