Part 9 Favor

Zachariah sat down casually on the coach. Ayla remained facing him the entire time, her grip on the bat only strengthened every time he went to speak.

He smiled, pulling out his cellphone. “Have you called the cops yet? Someone breaking into your house is a big deal.”

“Like your one to talk.”

He took his phone out of his pocket. “A little serious aren't you, though that’s to be expected you were just robbed. So I'll make sure to call the cops anyway, best to be sure they were contacted. At least then you would stop threatening me with that bat.”

Ayla repositioned her grip.

He let out a long drawn out sigh, shrugging his shoulders. He dialed 911 in clear view of Ayla's sight. After he lifted the phone to his ear, his expression seemed to change into something more focused. The crease between his brow growing ever larger. Ayla watched as every few seconds the sound of his voice would variate, panicked and whimpering one instance to strong and forceful the next. It was amazing at how fluidly he changed between them. If she hadn't seen the changes herself she would have thought them all different people.

After Zachariah hung up the phone he smiled at her. “Different people require different personalities to goad them into action. Otherwise they would take their sweet time. You probably want the police to get here as fast as possible so you can feel secure.”

Ayla just nodded as she sat across from him on the opposing cushioned chair

“Alright,” He clapped, bringing his fingers just below his bottom lip, “You are being stalked.”

There are certain things you never tell directly to a person. Most of the time its because it would cause them pain or because they wouldn't believe you in the first place. Telling someone of their parents death or telling someone that they are being stalked by a stranger both fall under that category. Especially if its a stranger telling you this, the validity of the information is near nil. But if someone had already been shocked beyond repair by such a previous event, they may be more open to another one. However Ayla wasn't that type of person.

She glared at him, “No I was being burglarized, and some stranger is now trespassing in my house. But so far no stalkers.”

He spun his phone around with his hand, “This isn't some petty stalker who's goal is some random obsession of love towards you. They want information, and since they can't get it, they are starting to use more forceful means. For example breaking into your house. It's going to get worse.”

He got really heated up when he spoke. As if he was actually worried about her well being. Which would have been impossible, she had never met the guy before.

He sat up staring directly at her. “Let me correct myself, you are being stalked by a professional.”

Ayla took a few one armed practice swings with her bat. “How do I know you aren't a stalker?”

He chuckled, “If I was I wouldn't be talking to you right now. I take my job very seriously. Anonymity is very important for this type of work.”

Ayla ignored the bit about his job, “Then who is stalking me?”

“Well If I had to guess, “ Zachariah replied, “Maybe that boy your always hanging around. He's seems the sort to be related to those people.”

Ayla stared at him dumbstruck, “Are you really that stupid?”

It took him a second to realize what she meant, “I really am not supporting 'this guy is not a stalker' side of the argument am I?”

No one should know about her friendship between her and Kazuki except for her family. They've been meeting in a secluded area from the get go so it would be impossible for anyone who hasn't yet seen them together to know about it.

“No- No you are not.”

He sighed, taking a second to recompose himself, “Well I'm not, well at least not to you. I may have done such jobs in the past. But currently the only jobs I do are favors, or personal whims of mine. Since the only person I owe any favors to is dead, My jobs are currently limited to whims.”

“Then why are you here?” She asked somewhat bluntly.

“Whim.”

“Why?”

He handed her a business card, “I have a feeling something special is going to happen to or around you. I want to do my best to help. So if you have anything you want to know, anything at all, just call my number and ask. The fee has already been payed for, by your father.”

Ayla was about to furiously question about why he knew her father but the siren of a police car interrupted her. Zachariah shot a light smile at her, as if to say 'I told you so, quick aren't they?' before standing up himself and heading to the door. As he was walking out he said, “If I may recommend something to ask me. It would be wise to learn about that boyfriend of yours.”

She stood frozen watching the man leave, still holding his card in her hand.

As Zachariah walked outside, one of the arriving officers walked up to him. Questioning him instantly after seeing him. “Are you a resident of this house?”

“No.”

The police eyed him carefully, “Then what were you doing here?”

He was stupid enough to answer honestly, “Trespassing.”

“Sir would you mind stepping in the vehicle?”

“Yes I would mind. I don't like inclosed spaces. If your taking me on a road trip I can probably get there by walking.”

“Sir?”

“Yes?”

“Get in the car.”