Part 18 Tux

They talked a little during school. However for some reason whenever Ayla faced Kazuki, he would turn away quickly his face burning. So he ended up talking to her in an odd manner, with his face deep in a book that would occasionally be dropped from his grasp. When she tried to peek at the cover he would hide it behind himself, his eyes focused just above her brow. He could not bear to look a few more inches down towards her eyes, without going red.

They talked about random stuff, the world and things about it. Kazuki paid special attention to her when she talked about people, or the things she had done with her brother. He quietly commented to himself that she never mentioned having any friends, only her and her brother and occasionally her father.

When Kazuki was talking he would occasionally lapse into something indecipherable that caused Ayla to slightly doze off. Only to break back into an interesting topic that drew her interest. If anything they got along well. The things about friends, you don’t necessarily need something to talk about. Sometimes saying whatever comes to mind is a relieving experience.

The day of the date approached. Even with the book Kazuki was having a hard time figuring out what to do for it. Or maybe it was because of the book in the first place. Any ideas that he did come up with were quickly shot down by either intense embarrassment or the ghost, who seemed really keen on this Date.

The ghost had made Kazuki promise to refer to him as Zack. But the name just didn’t suit him; it felt like it was made for someone else. Kazuki still ended up agreeing.

Saturday at ten was the decided time, the first day off from school. They would meet underneath the willow and take the subway to the amusement park. Since neither of them were old enough to drive. Zachariah had offered, but Kazuki felt he would be safer with someone more corporal taking them.

Kazuki was there before Ayla showed up, just as it always had been. His brown hair was combed back, courtesy of the Ghost. He wore an outfit, on loan from Zachariah too, though Kazuki could not understand the point of wearing such a thing. A white tux, the main character in Heated Nights wore one, but is this really something necessary for an apology?

When Ayla showed up Kazuki’s mouth dropped open, as did hers.

Though his was because seeing her in that white dress, with small flowers printed near the tips, was one of the prettiest things he’s ever seen.

Ayla’s reaction on the other hand, was due to the shock of seeing someone dressed up in such a ridiculous outfit. Her smile could not remain hidden as she saw him, and a faint giggle escaped her throat.

Seeing her smile in such an outfit caused him to mumble his thoughts, “So pretty.” Before quickly going quiet and lowering his head. She did not make a reaction like she heard it, instead walking up to him patting him on his shoulder.

“Kazuki.” she asked consolingly, “Did the person who gave you those ballet tickets also tell you to wear that?”

He nodded his head.

“Do you like those clothes.”

Kazuki quickly shook his head side to side, “No, No I do not. But the ghost said it was needed.”

Ghost? She wondered, Is he referring to the person who jokingly lent him this stuff? She grabbed his hand and pulled him out of the clearing. “First things first we need to get you in a different outfit. Time to go shopping.”

“Can't I wear my school uniform?“ Kazuki asked.

Ayla smiled brightly, “You can't wear a uniform on a date.”

He tilted his head to the side, “You can't? but-” He felt like checking the research book. He could have sworn one of them showed up on a date in their uniform.

He looked up at Ayla's cheerful face. Maybe it would be better if he just stayed quiet and followed her. She seemed happier this way.

Zachariah chuckled as he saw each of their reactions from afar. Kazuki had been so stupidly trusting, Zachariah had accidentally made him were such a silly outfit.

He had not expected Ayla to dress up so cutely. The dress did suit her, almost perfectly. He shook the non businesslike thoughts away. Just in time to see Ayla pull Kazuki out of the willow's clearing. She continued to pull him, away from the direction of the subway.

Did Kazuki do something wrong? He thought he planned for them to go to the amusement park after this. But that was towards the... Shopping district? “Don't tell me my prank backfired,” He mumbled.

Somebody tapped Zachariah on his shoulder, “So this was your idea?”

Fray clicked his tongue, “You did something mean to my friend.”

Zachariah took a step back, “What do you mean?”

Fray reiterated, “You did something mean to my friend, Kazuki.”

A pleased smile spread across Zachariah’s face, “So that fool did manage to make more than one friend.” He examined Fray closely before continuing with his defense, “How was I mean, I set two people up on a date.”

Fray remained frowning, “The Tux? The tickets? The book?”

Zachariah's smile became more natural, “Oh, Kazuki made a really good friend, Even talking about his personal ghost.”

“Wasn' that hard. I just had to ask him about the date was all. Kazuki doesn't cut corners when telling a story. Can kinda' get on the annoying side. But still, it has it's uses.”

“That is a nasty habit, “ Zachariah agreed, He had seen many people fail because of such minor habits.

Zachariah started to walk away.

Only to be grabbed in the shoulder by Fray. His grip causing a light pain to spread along Zachariah's entire shoulder. Fray was stronger than one would expect. But he knew that he had it, and he tried to act cool using it. “Did I say you can leave.”

Zachariah nodded. “Yes I think you did.”

The grip tightened, “No, I did not.”

The businessman’s smile lowered by about ten degrees, “If I don't leave now I won't know were the those two go. If I lose them I can't help their date along.”

“Help their date?” Fray asked, “Or lose your entertainment?”

Greer sat on the opposite side of the clearing from Zachariah and Fray. Hiding herself from view. She was gnashing her nails in a nervous habit. Having just seen Kazuki meet up with a girl, she had no choice but to be nervous. It was even with that Meyer's kid, if he accomplished his task because of her, Greer would...

She looked back towards the two kids, who had just vanished. She swung her head back and forth in an effort to spot them. “Were did they go?”

Greer's thoughts went into hyper drive. If she couldn't find them, how could she stop this from going well?