Part 7 Return

'That’s odd.' The princess thought, 'Maybe I scared him off?'

Ayla was sitting on the coach. She was still wearing her pjs although it was already midday. She did not possess the energy to get changed. Although she felt that was an excuse. She just did not want to get up and take care of the life she actually had. Not sitting limp on the coach, but chatting with friends, and fighting with her brother.

One pillow hit her in the head. Then another, then another.

“Will you stop that!” She yelled at her brother Fray, who was just about to toss a fourth.

He shrugged his shoulders and sat down next to her.

“Sis?” He asked.

“Go away.” she pleaded pulling another pillow on top of her.

Her brother peeled it away and tossed it to the floor. “Sis, get up. You've been acting depressed for awhile now, which is fine. But you need to start facing the world again. Like dad always said, 'Look not at what you lost, but what you still have.'”

She grabbed another pillow, clutching it closely, she was strangely adamant about keeping a pillow on her. It gave her a sense of security she had thought she lost.

 Fray just kept  on talking, “ Hey remember why he said that, it was your birthday and you had just toppled that cake mom had just spent 3 hours making. You know the one with those red sprinkles, and decorations up the-”

“Fray,” Ayla said.

“Yes?”

“Shut up.”

Fray stood up, and pulled her easily off the coach. He was strong for his age and Ayla was in no mood to react, let alone resist.”Go.”

“Huh?”

It was Fray's turn to be obstinate, “Sis, You've been moping around for the last two weeks. You've been afraid to face him, ever since that night.”

She glared at him, “What do you know about Kazuki? He's my friend not yours.”

“You don' seem like your his friend, having ignored him for the last two weeks. I know a good person when I see one, and someone who doesn't hide a darker truth from you just because they did not want to have your sorrow on their conscious are all too common nowadays. That guys honest, I don't think you'll ever meet another like 'em.”

Ayla raised an eyebrow, “Are you telling me to go out with a boy?”

Fray acted like he was about to barf, “Oh god no, I was just saying you should keep him as a friend.”

Ayla threw her pillow at Fray, “When did you get all supportive of Kazuki, Fray? Something happen?”

He smiled, “Yeah, I got to know him. Someones gotta visit the poor guy everyday while he waits for his 'friend' to show up. Another thing about that guy, He's stupidly loyal, made a promise with you, and till its done he's not l

eaving. I guess it physically pains him to break his word.”

She couldn't stop herself from cracking a smile in the first time in two weeks, “Seriously?”

Fray nodded.

Ayla started heading towards the door. When she reached it, she immediately turned and headed to her room.

“What is it now, “ Fray complained.

She blushed, “I'm in my pajamas.”

“Don' think he'll care.”

After having changed, she made her way to the willow. The trip was somewhat thrilling, the streets were covered in a thin layer of snow. A gift from the early proceedings of winter.

She unexpectedly smiled as she saw the willow, breaking out above the bushes that surrounded it. The small leaves of which had just started to disappear. She made her way through the bushes to reach her and Kazuki's spot.

Hmm? She wondered, When did it become Kazuki's.

As the bushes parted the base of the tree showed itself....

And no one was there.

 Her heart sunk. She thought her brother said that Kazuki was here everyday?

 She looked around, half expecting him to be hiding behind the trunk, or in the upper recesses of the tree. Yet no luck, Kazuki was nowhere in sight.

She sat down in a futile gesture leaning herself against the willow tree., only to find something jutting into her back.

 She turned around.

A small brown book was lying next to the tree. The book was thin, and Ayla recognized the cover. 

Ye Willow. It was her favorite story when she was younger. It was supposedly geared towards little kids, but the wording was to complicated so the book never sold. She opened it to the front cover.

Dear Ayla.

I am sorry for not being able to be there today. But I have a prior engagement planned. I'll be back tomorrow. 

It would be funny If today of all days is the time you actually decide to show up. Though judging by the last two weeks, its unlikely. But hey, a man can hope can't he?

                                                                                                    Your friend Kazuki.

PS. Fray if only you come today can you do me a favor and hand this to her. Its my favorite book. You can read it first if you like of course.