Chapter 13

Chernivtsi, Ukraine

Spring 2015

It took a fair bit of convincing, and some rather skilled manipulation on Natasha's part, but Rogers and Barton had ultimately been brought on board with the idea to go after the remaining Azarov brother immediately, without going to New York first to regroup.

They didn't have time to spare, she'd insisted, something that Nadine had wholeheartedly agreed with. After all, who knew what sorts of flags Sergey had built into his communiqués with Nadine or into any files relating to him to warn him if he was being tracked online. The sooner they went after him, Natasha had pointed out, the less chance there was that he'd make a break for it and disappear. Plus, she'd added, someone was still metaphorically holding a knife to Nadine's throat, and there was no telling how long before whoever was pulling her strings made good on the threats they'd used to coerce The Ghost into doing their bidding. A mix of relief and chagrin had flashed through Nadine when Natasha had said that, but outwardly she'd allowed herself little reaction to Natasha's bluntness beyond a simple nod of agreement.

But that relief had faded quickly as they had landed on the outskirts of Chernivtsi, Ukraine. It wasn't far, all things considered, from the small town just north of the Moldovan border where Nadine had traced Sergey Azarov to years ago in her search for his brother Mikhail.

Then came the planning. It was there that J.A.R.V.I.S. once again proved his worth, providing them with an incredible influx of information about the building, the surrounding area and even confirmation that there was someone in Azarov's apartment; presumably Azarov himself. From there, Barton—their eyes and their cover—had been sent out to get into position. Meanwhile, Rogers and Natasha continued to look over the intelligence J.A.R.V.I.S. had provided, talking over strategy and making a tentative plan to some extent, but mostly it was Rogers trying to convince Natasha to stay behind, concerned by the risk presented by her injury.

As the pair of them bickered, Nadine nearly groaned in aggravation, still bristling from the way the Captain had been trying to give her orders. Her! Orders! She worked alone. She always had. The only reason she wasn't alone now was because she'd been foolish enough to get caught. Then again, she wouldn't have traced her blackmailer back to Azarov at all if she hadn't been...so grudgingly, she withheld the urge to give the chiselled Captain a solid smack to make her opinion of his orders known. She was not an Avenger. He was not her Captain. She didn't follow anyone's orders unless they coincided with what she wanted to do.

And right now, she saw her opportunity staring her in the face. As Barton was off doing what he did and Natasha disputed Rogers' call, Nadine slipped away. She was not interested in waiting to have a little talk with Sergey Azarov.

Besides, she was quite certain he would have things to say that she didn't want anyone to hear but herself.

Getting out of the Quinjet had been easy; they'd left the ramp open, so it was just a matter of walking out without them noticing. Nadine knew how to keep from drawing attention to herself. Years of training and honing that skill first in the Red Room and then as The Ghost on top of her natural talent meant that silent steps and unobtrusive movement came easily to her. Natasha and Rogers didn't even notice.

Getting to Azarov's building unseen was also easy; she'd paid close attention to J.A.R.V.I.S.'s breakdown of the area surrounding the building and the structure itself with the Avengers, so she had more than enough to go on, her route locked in her head before she'd even left the Quinjet. So getting to the building and slipping inside virtually unseen was simple enough. The few cameras, alarms and locks were quickly taken care of, especially as J.A.R.V.I.S. had already bypassed the more advanced tech Sergey had put up. Once she was inside the apartment, it was even easier. It was a tiny, dark little place, with a main living space complete with almost forgotten kitchenette, what was likely a little bathroom and the bedroom which, considering how the bed was in what would normally be the living room, was used for something completely different. In that she was certainly correct.