Chapter 52

Siberia

Spring 2016

Nadine pulled away from Nina even as a blast of cold air gusted into the Quinjet, the groan of the boarding ramp's decent signalling it was time to go.

Drawing back, Nadine brushed a hand against Nina's cheek, smiling fondly down at her daughter. There were a million things she wanted to say, but not a word would come. It felt too...final to consider saying most of what sprang to mind—how proud she was of her little girl, how much she loved her. Even promises that, when—if, the pragmatic side of her reminded—she returned, she would tell Nina everything she still had left to reveal felt like to voice them would be tempting fate. And the outcome of the coming fight was already far too uncertain. Nadine didn't believe in luck or fate, but she knew mentality was an underrated key to surviving any situation. To even consider failure was to invite it.

Especially when she had little in the way of either contingencies to ensure success or escape plans to fall back on in case her not inconsiderable skills and those of her companions weren't enough.

This fight was it.

And it was going to be brutal.

Oh, she had plans in place for Nina were something to happen to her. She'd had those plans in place for years, really, updating them as needed to accommodate for their changing circumstances. Documents and preparations that accounted for most eventualities or possible outcomes. Means for Nina to disappear, should she want to, and means for her to stay safe.

And means for her to learn the truth.

Of course, that was assuming there was no one left to tell her. Nadine knew that if something were to happen to her, Natasha had already given her promise to ensure Nina was well looked after and that she would make sure Nina learned everything. More than that, she knew without ever having mentioned any such thing to Steve that he would do the same without question. That he would make sure Nina knew the secrets Nadine hadn't yet shared. At least, insofar as he knew them.

And now there was Barnes too.

Though, if she were being truly honest, Nadine knew full well that Barnes had the gravest outlook of all of them. Both where this looming conflict was concerned, and beyond, should he manage to beat the odds and survive.

She fully intended for that to be the case.

No matter what it took.

But still, that this was far from a certain fight and that the odds of them all surviving—much less winning—were solidly stacked against them was a reality she couldn't ignore. One both Steve and Barnes were undoubtedly just as aware of given the gravity shadowing their expressions despite their reminiscing smiles and the lighthearted banter they were engaged in as she approached the pair where they stood at the top of the lowering ramp.

"You blew three bucks trying to win that stuffed bear for a redhead," Steve was correcting dryly, fighting a grin at whatever memory the pair was reliving. Barnes chuckled, his features utterly transformed by the smile lighting his face. Despite herself, Nadine couldn't help but smile at the expression; Nina had the uncanny ability to draw out smiles simply by smiling herself, too.

"What was her name again?" Barnes asked, with a faint frown. There was nothing grim about the expression, though.

"Dolores," Steve answered easily, "you called her Dot." A small huff escaped Barnes as Nadine's steps slowed, bringing her up just behind the two of them.

"She's gotta be a hundred years old right now," Barnes said with a distinct note of disbelief. Steve didn't miss a beat.

"So are we, pal," he countered, his voice dryly ironic. He looked to Barnes with a reserved grin before clapping him solidly on the shoulder. Nadine was loath to break up the loaded glance passing between them—a look that easily spanned most of those hundred years. There was no denying the depth and the strength of the friendship the two men shared, the earnest connection behind the look plain to see. It almost seemed too private a moment to intrude on, much less observe. But it nevertheless warmed Nadine in a way she didn't expect. Bewilderingly, it nurtured the flicker of confidence that they would make it through whatever waited them several dozen stories beneath their feet that she'd been working to strengthen.