Chapter 20

London, England

Spring 2016

"You ready?" Natasha asked softly as they approached the doors leading out of the sanctuary to the narthex. Glancing back to Steve where he stood gazing up at Peggy's portrait, Nadine slowly shook her head.

"No," she answered, her voice just as low, "I'm going to stay here."

Natasha's smile was knowing as she stopped next to the intricately glassed doors, turning to face Nadine. "You were never planning on coming on to Vienna, were you." It wasn't a question. Nadine knew her sister had suspected as much before they'd even left the Compound. But neither had said anything. Natasha mercifully hadn't questioned her when she spotted Nadine waiting next to the Quinjet, nor had she pressed when Nadine said she wanted to come along. She hadn't even commented beyond an understanding smile when Nadine's response to her pointing out she was intending stop in London on the way to Vienna had been a simple 'I know.'

Nadine shook her head. "No, lisichka. We both know that would be a terrible idea. I'd no sooner step up to Security then I'd be arrested. Your guest or not." Natasha raised a challenging brow, smirking mischievously.

"We could make your case," she offered lightly, her eyes betraying that she knew it was wishful thinking. "Lots of influential people to make a case for pardon to? Being willing to sign would certainly be a big point in your favour. Not to mention the bonus of having the Avengers as character references." Nadine smiled, reaching out to squeeze her sister's hand. Wishful thinking or not...it was a nice fantasy to indulge in, even if only for a few moments.

"I appreciate the thought," she said fondly. Nadine knew the consequences of the life she'd lived, willing or not. She could bear it. She had long accepted her reality. Natasha's light expression grew grim and entreating.

"I don't want to lose you too," Natasha said softly, "and signing—as a step of good faith, it might—" Nadine sighed heavily, her eyes sliding shut as her hand rose to massage her temple. As nice a thought as it was, they both knew it was an impossible hope.

"Natalia, don't," Nadine cut in sharply. "I know you understand. I know you know better. Just...don't." Natasha's lips thinned but she nodded her agreement.

"Doesn't mean I like it," she said emphatically, almost dismissively. Nadine's lip twitched and she raised a brow at her sister. She was still intending to fight, and that cheered Nadine more than she expected.

Not that it changed anything...

"And you think I do?" she countered softly. Natasha didn't quite manage to hide her wince, her expression growing apologetic. Nadine bit back a sigh. "We've been through this, Natalia," she continued wearily, only barely keeping her own regret to herself, "You know very well that I can't...that the chances of the anyone overlooking... I'm not an Avenger. I'm an assassin. And even if I could? It's too dangerous to sign," she concluded firmly as she looked back up at her sister, "for me and especially for Nina." Natasha sighed, looking to Nadine with a nearly admonishing expression.

"Nadine, you're both Enhanced, you and Nina." Nadine's gut churned uncomfortably at the reminder that her daughter was indeed technically Enhanced and had been since the day she was born thanks to Nadine and Barnes, but she didn't quail beneath her sister's scrutiny. Natasha's tone grew faintly exasperated as she continued, not giving up despite knowing Nadine wasn't about to budge, "whether you like it or not, whether you're an Avenger or not, the Accords still apply to both of you." Natasha but back a sigh, looking sightlessly through the stained glass of the door. "It's just...there has to be a way to make this work. To...to keep what we've got going. I mean," she hesitated, battling to cut herself off even if she ultimately lost, looking back to Nadine with nearly pleading eyes, her frustration with their whole situation painfully clear, "under the Accords? It'd be bringing the Team back to what it was under S.H.I.E.L.D., only this time under the UN. It's not like they would be taking away our autonomy altogether. Steve has to see that." Nadine bit back a dismayed groan.