The Thunderbird's Gift

Feeling disturbed by Grindelwald's last words, Gwen stood stunned as the President of MACUSA stood before her and Newt.

"We owe you an apology, Mr. Scamander," Madam Picquery said pressing her lips together. "But the magical community is exposed. It definitely didn't help to have a dragon running around either." She looked directly at Gwen.

"I'm sorry, but is this an apology?" Gwen inquired raising an eyebrow.

Coughing Madam Picquery turned to Gwen, "As for you Gwendolyn Presley, it I an apology, but to we cannot obliviate an entire city!"

"But perhaps we can," Newt said thoughtfully.

"Newt," Gwen turned to him, "No," her face was full of sympathy.

Ignoring Gwen's comment, Newt moved quickly placing his case on the ground, and opened it. Gwen was pretty sure everyone expected something to jump out but nothing did.

"Is something supposed to happen?" an Auror asked impatiently. Gwen's eyes flashed red glaring at the Auror, who shut up immediately after seeing her eyes.

Newt sighed and stuck his head into the case, "Come on, it's time."

Backing away from the case there was a screech as Frank, the Thunderbird, came bursting out and landing right in front of Newt. There were plenty of gasps in the area as they saw the Newt approaching the great creature.

"I was intending to wait until we got to Arizona," Newt said mournfully, "but it seems you're our last hope, Frank."

Gwen watched the exchange, Newt had saved the Thunderbird's life when he found Frank in Egypt.

Newt embraced the great creature who returned the gesture by resting its head onto Newt. "I'll miss you, my friend." Sniffing slightly, Newt reached for his coat pocket until he realized the blue coat wasn't on him. Gwen stepped forward handing Newt exactly what he wanted a vial of the Swooping Evil's venom, and when diluted properly would result in memories being erased.

"Thanks," Newt sniffed quietly, Gwen nodded her eyes watering slightly. Looking back at the Thunderbird Newt said, "You know what to do."

Throwing the vial, Frank caught it in his beak; letting out a sharp cry Frank took off into the air. Soaring high into the air Gwen heard plenty of Muggles gasping at Frank's form. Leaning her head back just like everyone else, Gwen saw Frank disappear into a dark cloud.

"That's amazing." Jacob whispered to himself.

Gwen reached Newt's side as he watched the bird burst through the clouds as thunder and lightning crashed in the sky as rain began to pour. The Aurors quickly began to reconstruct the city as the Thunderbird made its final circle around the underground rail way. Gwen looked up and she spotted a shimmering, golden feather delicately falling toward them. The feather itself landed right into Newt's hands. Looking rather astonished Newt was left speechless

Smiling Gwen looked at her friend, "The last gift. This will something Frank will never forget." Looking up into the sky Newt heard the Thunderbirds last cry as he disappeared into the clouds.

Tina stood by Queenie and Jacob as the rest of the Aurors finished reconstruction. "We owe you great debt Mr. Scamander," Madam Picquery said facing Newt and Gwen, "Now get that suitcase out New York."

"Yes Madam President." Newt said smiling.

"And you!" the woman shifted her gaze to Gwen, "You were the dragon?"

"Yes."

Gwen waited for the woman to elaborate, but Madam Picquery didn't instead she addressed Jacob, "Is that No-Maj still here?" Jacob peeked out from behind Tina Queenie; sighing she said, "Obliviate him, there can be no exceptions!"

"But-" Queenie started.

"You know the rules Miss Goldstein," Madam Picquery said as she left the Subway tunnel with the rest of the MACUSA's members.

Jacob trudged up the Subway stairs with Queenie, Tina, Newt and Gwen behind him. Facing the group behind him, it was obvious to Gwen that this was just as hard for him as it was for everyone else. In such a short time all five of them became really close forming a strange little family, but still family. Especially to Gwen because Jacob was one of the first people to know her story and Jacob wasn't someone she wanted to lose. Queenie was the one who looked most devastated as she looked at Jacob and fighting back tears.

"I was never supposed to know any of this," Jacob said attempting to comfort his friends as well as himself. "Everybody knows Newt keeps me around because...hey why do you keep me around?"

Newt looked at Jacob, "Because I like you, and because you're my friend and I'll never forget how you helped me, Jacob."

"Me too," Gwen sniffed, "You helped me, and I'll never forget you."

"Oh!" he squeaked blinking down tears as Queenie made her ways toward him. Gwen looked at her shoes, she had always hated goodbyes. Newt lifted his hand and placed it on Gwen's shoulder offering some support.

"Jacob!" Newt called.

"It's okay," Jacob nodded in a soft voice, "It's okay...it's just like waking up. Right?"

Being strong for all of them, Jacob stepped out into rain. The rain felt cool and refreshing as it washed all his problems away: the bakery loan, the canning factory and those...those, then there were a pair of lips his own.

Queenie had stepped out into the rain with a charmed umbrella and hesitantly placed her lips onto Jacobs. When she pulled back, Queenie sorrowfully walked back to the group. Newt then wrapped his arms around every else and apparated them out to f the Subway entrance.

By the time Jacob opened his eyes he found himself standing in front of the Subway entrance, "What am I doing here?" he questioned scratching his head.

After the long journey in New York, Gwen stared around her case home. Newt wasn't far off as he showed Tina and Queenie how to feed the Graphorns. Looking mournfully at Frank's space the only thing left was the feather that Newt had gotten; that feather now was located in the enclosure. Gwen sighed, this was it and there was definitely no turning back.

On his way out of the case, Newt paused on a rock Gwen sat. "Are you staying?" he asked breaking Gwen out of her thoughts.

Gwen turned her head and faced Newt, Queenie and Tina. "No," she shook her head, "I've spent the majority of my life in this case. I think it's time for a change." She said smiling. Smiling in return Newt gestured his arm for Gwen to exit. Gwen got up from the rock and walked right up to him.

"After you Gwendolyn."

"Thank you Newton."