The Year Before We Got Expelled

The sun was just peaking above the city skyline as Gwen stood in the small Goldstein apartment looking out the window.

"What are you doing up?" Tina asked startling Gwen.

Gwen turned to Tina smiled, "Watching the sunrise. I haven't seen one since I was young."

"Really that long?" Tina asked watching Gwen's amused look.

Gwen glanced back out the window frowning, "Yeah, it's really quite beautiful."

"What happened?" Tina asked, "What happened to make you hide in the case?"

Gwen's head whipped around toward Tina, "I wasn't hiding." She growled, making Tina back right up into a lamp. The lamp fell on the ground with a crash; blinking Gwen snapped out of her trance. "Sorry," she muttered, "I protect others from myself."

Gwen turned back to the window leaving Tina a bit frazzled, "I didn't know how touchy the subject was for you."

"Sorry I reacted that way, it's just that somethings in my past have scared me. I've scared myself and only place I felt safe was that case." Gwen whispered.

"You're referring back to what Graves or Grindelwald said about nearly killing someone." Tina pressed.

Gwen sat down on one of the couches as Tina leaned on the wall. "You heard that." Tina nodded as both women stopped mid conversation as Newt came stumbling into the room

"Sorry," Newt said yawning, "I heard something crash." He then noticed Gwen and Tina looking at him, "Did I interrupt a girl talk?"

Tina looked to Gwen, "No, you know this one though."

"Oh, so you're in a sharing mood." Newt said taking a seat across from Gwen, "Come sit Tina, this is going to be a while." Tina slowly took a spot next to Newt.

"I'll give you a short version." Gwen glared at Newt, who didn't flinch at all in her gaze.

Clearing her throat Gwen began the painful story of her past, "It all started when my parents decided to have a family gathering in late July," looking directly at Newt she said, "it was the summer before we got expelled..."

"So Paul will Gwendolyn be joining us today?" Percival Dumbledore asked Paul Presley.

Both men stood in the kitchen bringing out food dishes, "She will be joining us and is very happy to be doing so." Paul said placing a dish of potato salad on the picnic table as Percival Dumbledore set down a bowl of chips.

Paul looked right into Percival's eyes a slight fear shown through; and to change the subject he asked, "How's the rest of the family?" Percival and Kendra were the only ones who knew about Gwendolyn's condition; and both were nervous whenever she was around.

"Oh Kendra is wonderful she brought her famous cheesecake for desert and as for the boys Albus and Aberforth are doing well. Albus is teaching as a transfiguration teacher at Hogwarts and Aberforth he's finding his way." Percival said and by the way he talked about Albus suggested he was Percival's favorite child.

There were two loud cracks as it announced Albus and Aberforth's arrival. The laughter of the men entered the backyard as they spotted their father.

"Hey dad!" Albus said as guy with dirty blonde laughed at his friend.

"Hey Albus," Percival smiled at his eldest son, "Grindelwald." He nodded a greeting.