Chapter 1- Odd One Out

A/N Pretty much what Alec looks like but with longer hair and less confused

A/N Pretty much what Alec looks like but with longer hair and less confused. Try to stick to the description but this gives you something to picture

Alexander was so quiet even the deer didn't notice his presence. It was as though his feet didn't even touch the ground, for they did not disturb the debris littered across the forest floor. Had he have been a hunter or predator, he likely would have killed the herd before they knew he was there. However that was not what he was here for. 

    He took his place on the usual rock and waited patiently. His grass green eyes caught the sunlight and shone out like beacons darkened only by his sheet of black curls which slid like ink down to his shoulders. The hair was also contrasted by his porcelain skin which was tinted at the cheeks from the frosty air that nipped at his face. Now and then as he sat a smile would tug at his  lips, probably prompted by the antics of the fawns that romped around the field merrily. 
    Eventually he got what he was waiting for. The stag of the herd spotted him and approached slowly it's glossy black eyes sparkling at the sight of the boy who raised him. It's long elegant legs picked over the uneven ground carefully, while it slender neck arched out to get closer to Alexander. "Hey there old friend," Alex whispered softly and the stag inclined it's head to nuzzle the boys cheek. It's fur was warm and comforting to the touch which was something Alex couldn't get from anywhere else. He had no friendships with those of his own kind and he found most people he met were frustrating. They couldn't get over their prejudices which was why he liked animals, they weren't as judgemental. 
    The deer bumped it's wet nose against Ale to prompt the boy out of his dark thoughts. It was as if the animal knew what was going on inside his head. Alexander had raised him when he found the young fawn orphaned when it's mother had been slaughtered. Now the two had a close connection and would help one another in times of need.
   "I'm sorry Olin I come bearing bad news. There is to be a feast for me in two days for which they will need meat. My father wants to marry me off so he can finally wash his hands of me. Now that his legitimate son has been born the little maggot has more right to carry on the bloodline than I do. So they will be out hunting and I suggest you take your herd to the borders of the forest to keep away from the castors for a little while."
      Olin bowed his head sombrely and let out a deep breath which ruffled through Alex's hair. He patted the huge creature and stood up. If he remained out here for much longer he'd freeze. It was his own fault for wearing his long coat, it didn't provide much protection from the elements but he liked it so he had worn it. 
    It saddened him that his kind ate other species when there were so many food options that avoided the harming of life. There was a kind of pact between those with magic whether it be animals or people not to eat those with it in their blood. Therefore blank's (non-magic creatures) like Olin were high on the menu. From very early on though Alex felt this was wrong and as soon as he could prepare meals for himself he became vegetarian.  

     On his way back to the village he hummed quietly to himself. It was a tune he'd heard the women of the village singing while they worked. The song did not have words but instead was painted with magic that made it seem so much more vivid in Alexander's mind. His magic was still growing but he could still release enough for the tune and that was enough for now. 
   He actually had more magic than most his age because of the limitations they were under. Each individual castor could perform twelve spells a day (one for each hour for they could not cast spells at night), as well as having general magic like healing well. Fortunately for the boy he was not under these restrictions and could practice as he pleased, without even needing spells sometimes. It worried him slightly as he knew people who stood out in his world died. That's why he was careful. 
     The telltale winding green pathway told Alexander that he was back in civilisation. Rows of neat little cottages with floral curtains and picket fences appeared here and there. His was a pretty small village as they go so there was little need for large houses, the cottages were quaint anyway he felt. Unfortunately his father didn't feel the same way and he had to live in a mansion. There family was not large and it meant the whole place felt cavernous and empty. However due to their high status and wealth the family had to keep up their appearances of grandeur. 
    As he went along he felt eyes on him from all angles. His father being who he was, it meant there was an awe of the beholder to anyone of the Jinx family. For Alexander this had always been an affliction as people were  too scared to talk to him in case they said something wrong. As a result drama and rumours were always flying around about him. It was something more than just his power that made people stare at Alex. There were numerous other things like the fact he never talked, the fact he constantly broke societal norms and of course his eyes. Alexander had never quite understood it but people always found something in them. Whatever it was people seemed to find it both transfixing and frightening. That's why there eyes lingered on his just a little longer than was usual. 
    Really he should have had people his age lined up to date him but with that thing there it was a boundary to his social life. He knew there were many people who said he was good looking. Girls would whisper behind their house with reddened faces about his flawless skin and silky hair. Little did they know he didn't play for their team. 
      When he got back to the house Alex as disappointed to see the carriage in the shed. That meant his father was home from work early and he'd have to spend the rest of the night avoiding talks about potential partners. Alexander really did not want to be married off so young, he was only 16 for god's sakes! As well as that he knew every suitor would be desperate to get a Jinx as a husband and wouldn't be a bit concerned about his personality. 
    Inside it was nice, not overdone with fancy furniture or anything but more simple as his stepmother did most of the decorating. She said chandeliers gave her headaches. The little brownies were there to greet him as always. The tiny creatures presence was not acknowledged by anyone else so they always sought him out for a chat. They were little people with brown hair, clothes and eyes which made them look comically like potatoes. "Hey guys I brought you milk and suavis berries," he spoke quietly leaning down to hand the items over. It was they only reason they stuck around because his parents constantly forgot to feed them. Food being their exchange for service as servants they could get very mischievous if they went without. 
   Alex planned on just going up to his room and entertaining himself for the night. He popped into his sisters bedroom first though for a quick chat. The boy had two sisters but Arwen was the only one he could stand. Emily was just such a prissy daddy's girl, he couldn't stand the sight of her. Arwen was more down to Earth though and a great listener. After their conversations Alex always felt lighter, it was probably something to do with her magic. 
   "Hey Ar what ya up to," I asked quietly. The silver haired girl was sitting on her bed reading some novel or another. He admired her intellectual abilities because he had always been more outdoursy than clever. 
   "Reading A griffin's tale," she muttered though happily. She was engrossed in the novel. 
"Again?"
"Yep it's my favourite," she replied contentedly. Books to her were like animals to him. 
"Alright well I'm off to my room."
"K," she muttered and he turned to go. 
"Wait Alex," she asked.
"Hmm?"
"Visit me after your married. I really don't think this cold old house will be as bearable without you in it." That melted the boys heart and he had to choke back tears, he didn't want to leave her, or Olin, or the brownies.  
   "Always," he replied softly. 
With that he went to his room and got changed into something comfortable. He turned the light off and shut the curtains. Finally he could enjoy his guilty pleasure...darkness.