Chapter 6- A stranger in the night

A/N as close to the stranger's  look (not the vampire the guy that comes later) as I could get but try to stick to the description of him (e

A/N as close to the stranger's  look (not the vampire the guy that comes later) as I could get but try to stick to the description of him (e.g his hair is much longer than that)

The thing breathing down his neck was undoubtedly a vampire. There were more of them too their red eyes glowing like torches in the twilight, These didn't look as powerful though they reminded Alex of coyotes skulking around a wolf kill. Alexander knew little of vampires and what he did know was of little comfort to him at this present time, the thought of his blood being fed upon for it's magical properties was nauseating. 

   The boy tried to summon some magic to blast the Vamp away but healing the chamrosh wing had taken a lot of energy, as well as the debacle with his stepmother. It looked like he'd have to find some other way out of this. From his coat pocket he produced a small knife, traditionally the blade was for throwing but the vampire was far too close for that to work. "Ssstupid boy. That blade was not forged with magic, sso it cannot kill usss," he hissed in that chilling snake-like rasp. From all around there was a collected throaty chuckle. The creatures enjoyed the hunt perhaps even more than the kill. However it was clear to see from the way their nostrils were twitching rapidly that these guys were starving. They probably hadn't eaten in a while and that was making them a little crazed. Alex decided to use that to his advantage. 
    He plunged the tip of his blade into his into his wrist write over an vein sending blood spurting away from him. He quickly pressed his finger over the spot, dumped the blood soaked knife and ran. The vampire's swarmed over the bloodied grass and knife giving Alexander the escape he needed. It was at this moment he thanked whatever God's there were for his ability to think quick and the speed that'd always helped him. 
      Once Alexander was a good few miles away he stopped and assessed the damage. The regenerating abilities all with magic had, had already taken care of the small wound. Now though he was absolutely exhausted and just about ready to collapse. The night was at it's darkest so he figured dawn couldn't be more than a couple of hours away. All he had to do now was sight tight and wait. 
   Or that was what he thought until he saw a flicker of movement in front of him. It was very slight but undoubtedly made by a living creature. "Who's there," he shouted but the only reply was a soft growl. Then a huge beast started approaching from the shadows and it moved slowly and deliberately towards him. 
   The creature was the size of a carthorse and covered in wiry brown hair. It was skeletal yet muscular at the same time, with an arched back covered in purple thorns. It looked like it was part hound, part boar and part porcupine. A very intimidating mix. Perhaps the worst part was it's mouth from which protruded two large tusks and many yellow teeth standing out at odd angles like gravestones. 
   "Err nice terrifying beasty," he cooed falteringly only making the beast give him a bemused look. Alexander had absolutely no energy to run, no magical strength left and no weapons. He was completely out of his depth and he realised he couldn't even survive a night in the cursed world. This was it the night he was going to die, really it was rather anticlimactic. Things were looking up, he'd run away and finally began to find himself and now it was all over. He was going to end up in the stomach of a hideous monster he couldn't even put a name to. If only he had died suddenly and unexpectedly on Cada. At least then he would have died happy. Now the last thing he'd see was the disgusting yellow teeth of the creature and the last thing he'd smell was it's rancid breath. 
   Wobbling dizzily on his feet Alexander closed his eyes and waited for death, he just hoped it would be quick. Several seconds passed with nothing and he began to get annoyed. Was this thing trying to toy with his emotions? Cautiously he took a peak to see where the beast was but he realised he couldn't see it at all. 
    "Well well, you were in quit the pickle weren't you. It was a good job that I was passing by," a smug voice said with a chuckle. It was a soft voice, almost musical in sound. It was a relief to Alexander because he really needed a voice that didn't sound menacing right about now. 
   Opening his eyes properly and looking up Alex discovered the source of the voice. Whoever this guy was he looked extraordinary. He was average height and fairly athletic looking, wearing combat ready clothing suggesting he was pretty practical. His skin had a rich tan covered at his nose by a light dusting of freckles, it made him look younger and more angelic. As did his eyes which were wide and bright, exuding an electric violet glow. His golden curls also glowed with a light that drew in the castor side of him and put off the cursed side to him. In short he was handsome in an intimidating sort of way. Something about the boy though called to Alexander, just like the chamrosh had, he put it down to being an aura thing. 
   "A halfy huh. Sorry about the glow it's probably messin with ya but I can't turn it off unfortunately. You should just be glad I'm not in my other form, it'd really screw you up," he laughed as if the prospect of insanity was whimsical to him. "I'm actually a halfy too but sometimes one half of you comes out stronger as you probably well know judging from that gothic look you've got going. If you didn't smell so damn pungent anyone'd think you were a vamp. Especially at the moment with the smell'a blood clinging to you," he mused. Alexander was beginning to get the sense this guy talked a lot. 
   "Who or what are you exactly?" He asked hoping to steer the overflowing conversation to a more enlightening area. 
  "Sorry man that's classified for the moment. I figure you and I ain't too different though so I'm pretty sure I'll entrust you with the info later."
  "Well at least tell me what that thing was then."
"A ravenous, they're pretty nasty coz they just keep regenerating after you kill them. It's a demon thing, speaking of which we best move before it reforms."
  "Where?" Alexander asked feeling lost once more. 
"Well judging from how interesting I find you I'm sure my mistress feels the same. I'll take you to her so she can figure something to do with you. No doubt you'd die before morning out here anyway." He chuckled once more. Alexander was beginning to find that somewhat irritating considering the night he'd been having. Besides he'd never been much of a laughter, he was far too reserved for that. 
    He mused the idea of going with this crazy guy over. This mistress could be literally anyone and so could glow stick over there but he had few other choices. Actually he counted just pone which was pretty much just die out here. It didn't seem very glamorous so he nodded to the guy. 
    "Right then, you may want to hold on to my arm and shut your eyes coz you won't enjoy this very much otherwise." Alexander warily did as he was told and the second his eyes closed he felt himself rocketing forward. They were going so fast he felt completely backwards and confused, everything seemed to be inside out and the wrong way around. 
   Then they came to a very abrupt stop. It was so abrupt that Alexanders stomach seemed to not know what do do that so it emptied itself to get a better grip on what was going on. He vomited all over what appeared to be a nice embroidered rug. When he looked up he saw a very disapproving motherly face.
   "Fai how many times have I told you to just walk here if you're bringing guests. Nobody apart from you enjoys/can cope with travelling at the speed of light, as a beam of light. To us it's not natural!" She said sternly in exasperation.