Chapter 4- I'm Out!

"What on Earth is wrong with you," his stepmother asked disdainfully. She had clearly heard his sobbing and had come to gloat. She had always hated him and Alex completely understood it. He was living proof of his fathers untruthfulness. The only reason she stood his presence was that there could not be a scandal in the Jinx family. They relied too much on status. Alexander remembered vividly when he was younger calling her his stepmother in front of a guest. He had spent a whole week locked in the wine cellar with the rats. If it wasn't for the brownies he would have starved or died from dehydration. After that day he had learned to be silent. He was now rather famous for it, not speaking unless absolutely necessary. It kept him out of trouble. 
     Malicia Jinx was not altogether a bad person. Her heart had just been covered by frost by who she had married. She was bitter and it was understandable. Alexander's father Lazarus had clearly only married her because of her looks. Malicia was after all rather a sight to behold. It was rumoured that she had the blood of forest spirits because she had a natural grace and beauty to her. Ice blue eyes were set into a face with no flaws, rosebud lips, a straight nose, rosy cheeks, she really did have it all. The woman was petite and walked lightly and carefully almost like Alexander. Her blonde hair was the colour of honey and it had natural ringlets to it. Many women in the village spoke jealously of her because there was no denying her elegance. 
     "A little birdie told me, whoops sorry that must have stung. I was informed that you freaked out at the taming. Did the poor we lamb get a bit sensitive," she said pouting like a child. Alexander bit his tongue but it just spurred her on. "Somebody said magic was used...at night. Who could have done that I wonder," she asked grinning the sort of smile a crocodile does before grabbing an antelope who stopped for a drink. "Maybe we should move the suitor meeting up to tomorrow. That way we can get you out of here that much quicker. I'm only thinking about your safety," she simpered. 
    A familiar dark feeling was bubbling in his stomach. The shadows called for him to kill her, to fight for himself. He tried to resist, really he did but eventually he snapped. With a bang she shot backwards and the door slammed shut after her. Alexander was breathing heavily mixed with relief, guilt and fear. He'd broken every rule he'd ever given himself. Somehow though he didn't care as much as he should have. 
    With the darkness spurring him on he began to gather his things and pack. He'd sneak into the kitchens and get some food from the brownies and say his goodbye's for them. To his dear little sister he'd leave a note telling her he would be back to visit her as promised. As for Olin he'd try and find a safe place later for him and his herd. Clothes, supplies and keepsakes were shoved haphazardly into a canvas rucksack. Alexander couldn't take another minute in this hellhole. 
      After about an hour of dealing with his departure he left. It was three in the morning and he couldn't be happier about it. A man was always at his happiest when he had a purpose, Alex thought and that's exactly what he had. Trying his best to evade the guards he made his way to the barn. Overall it was easy going because he was so light on his feet but more than once he had to scarper behind a wall as armed men did their rounds. 
    When he finally got to the barn he made his way to the wild chamroshes original pen. He was relieved to find it alive and it's eyes still yellow. This would all be in vain if the creature had been easily persuaded into a captive lifestyle. The beast lay on the floor with the broken wing hanging limply at it's side, it was obviously broken and painfully too. Every so often it would make a crooning sound, the sort of noise a child would make when it realised it couldn't see its mother. 
    "Hello err," he paused a second. He didn't really have anything to address the animal by, after all they had not given him a name. "Look I couldn't save you before and I'm sorry, but now I know it's what I was meant to do. If you'd like to come with me I can get you out of here. All I need in return is a lift to the plains. We are the same you and I lost in a world we do not belong in, I think we could make a good team but I respect your wishes. 
     The animal contemplated him with it's sharp calculating eyes. Eventually it dipped it's head ever so slightly. "Do you have a name," Alex asked in relief. A ride would make things so much easier. 
    "Cada." The word was whispered into Alex's very mind. It was a peculiar form of telepathy and as with everyone invading his head, it made him feel a little uncomfortable.
    "Lets get going then," he sighed opening the door to the animals cage.