Shards Of Our Past

It's like he thinks what he did was perfectly acceptable.

The teacher's constant droning is only driving my impatience further.

The clock reads 3:42 but it feels like it's been an eternity and I just want to get the hell out of here. This is all too much and I can't take it.

"Hey, look, Avery. Do you think maybe we could just talk sometime?" The blonde boy questions innocently.

"We're talking now." I retort.

He sighs with disappointment. I'm resting my head on my arm, not looking at him. The pencil I'm holding makes a rhythmic tapping against the old desk.

"I know I have a lot of explaining to do," he queries. "And I want to make it up to y-"

"Stop. There's nothing you could say that would make it up. We're nothing but strangers now... Dex." I counter. "And everything that might have happened between us doesn't matter because what you did spoke louder than any apology you could possibly utter. So do me a favor and stay out of my life." At this point I'm glaring daggers at him.

He looks away, biting his lip. I have to tear my gaze off his mouth after a few seconds of staring. I sneak a peak at his arms, which have just the right amount of muscle for his stature. Dex runs his hand through his golden-brown locks and wears a perplexed look on his face.

God, he's so easy to read. Is he doing that on purpose?

I scoff subconsciously and he looks over at me for a second before getting up and walking over to a group of freshmen, muttering.

I doodle on my homework for the remainder of class, ignoring the teacher's taught commands to work. The bell rings, marking the end of the school day. I rush out the door, making sure not to glance over at Alex.

*

During the long walk home I'm overcome with emotions stirred up from the past. His eyes won't get out of my head, that voice constantly playing tricks on my mind.

"Hey there, beautiful."

I giggle, letting him pull me into a warm embrace. I run my fingers through his soft hair. His loving smile traps me in enchantment, and all I want is to stay in this moment forever.

"Son of a--" I swear as my foot gets caught in I rut, causing me to fly forward comically onto my face.

I scrabble into a sitting position, grasping my right forearm. I grit my teeth against the unbearable stinging, sucking in an astonished breath. A crippled, shrill whine escapes my lips as I take in the sight of my arm.

Several pieces of gravel are dug well into my skin, masked by crimson liquid welling out around them. Skin sticks up in all directions. If I don't take care of it, it'll never heal right. The entire length of my forearm stings against the breeze.

I picked a very public place to fall, and most of the faces staring at me are full of amusement. A few girls from school are bunched together on the other side of the street, laughing their asses off. One falls over in a fit of laughter while another points at me as if I'm some sort of zoo animal.

"Are you gonna keep chortling like stupid donkeys or should I come over and kick your fuckin' asses!?" I shout across to the inconsiderate bitches.

Their smirks instantly dissapear and they flip me off, shouting something that sounds like 'freak'.

My blood boils with resent and I sense my face growing red-hot. Screw them. It's not like they're perfect or something. They're in no place to judge me. I shrug off their reaction to my near death experience and bring my attention back to my arm.