Men Are All The Same

His words hit me like a wall of rocks.

"Avery, please, just listen." He says, placing a hand on my back.

I slap his arm away. The ground is cold, chilling my small body further. Dex is crouching in front of me, his eyes burning into mine. Those eyes, they've always captivated me. From the moment I fell for them to the day I resented them.

Nothing made sense, nothing ever made sense anymore. My life had become a mess of lies and confusion. Alex was the main source of my pain. But my life was never a pretty one. With the death of my family members and the constant heartbreak, it has always been hard to be me. Alex was supposed to be different. He was supposed to fix everything. For a moment, he was. For just a moment, things looked like they wouldn't turn out so bad after all.

It didn't last. He wasn't different, and my fears came true. The classic that had happened over and over. Him turning to be the same, no different than the others. It had become a pattern. I was always so foolish, I allowed myself to be hurt. It should've came to no surprise when he did it.

But it wasn't quite the same. It was worse. Who would've thought it would ever get to this point?

I hated him, of that I was certain. Everything that had happened, everything that led up to this point was building up to this. Tears well up in my eyes, but I didn't dare let one fall.

I can't bring myself to look at him. He was the one that caused my curse, but the curse turned out to be the only thing in the world I had, and now it's gone.

Alex is close enough to where I can feel his breaths brushing my face. Still, I look down. There's nothing I can do. I'm nothing but human now. If I try anything, they'll probably kill me. But not without a fight.

Judging from the next thing he says, he must of picked up on my fragility.

"I'm not going to hurt you. If you'll just give me a chance--"

"Why would I listen to anything you have to say?" I cut him off, anger flooding my thoughts.

Whatever he's trying to say, I'm not going to listen to a word of it. He seems to think he's doing me a favor by taking away the wolf, but he must know how mistaken he is. I would bet he himself treasures his wolf.

I wanted to scream and cry, I wanted to yell at him for how much he destroyed me. But I had to stay strong, I couldn't let him know how weak I was, how much he had gotten to me. But I did want to know why, and I wanted to know how he did this to me.

"I didn't think it was possible." My voice cracks. "You took away my soul. How?" I let my gaze catch his, surprised by the sympathy in his eyes.

A hot tear streams down my cheek.

He's silent, taking in my face as if searching for something. He licks his lips, then stands up. He turns around, staring at something, I follow his gaze to the door. He seems ruffled, as if my question shook him. This place was completely unfamiliar, but I had a nagging feeling it was the house Alex was in earlier. I was in a bedroom, and judging by the clothes on the countertops, it was Alex's room. I notice myself shivering and hold on to my knees.

Dex exits the room after someone shouts his name, leaving me alone with my own thoughts. So many strange things had been going on lately, it must be because of him. That day I woke up with a dead arm, and the scents that had carried through the air. Somehow I know it was connected to him.

Hayden.

Sudden worry courses through me as I remember my only friend's appearance that night just before I blacked out. There was no telling what happened that night, or why she was there. I had assumed she was coming to check on me, but with the latest turn of events it had become apparent that something else was going on.