Do I Ever?

Anna sighed as she said, looking down at her phone, "It seems I need to go"

"You don't have to go right this second" Mitch said, eager to get back to what they'd been about to do.

A muffled moan came from the entrance.

"Jessica!" She snapped.

Her dog quietened.

"It seems Scott isn't the only one who wants my attention" Anna said with a chuckle.

"Her name's Jess?" Mitch asked.

Anna nodded as she said, "I had her for a while. She was with me when I crashed my car. Theo told me he found her lying by me, keeping me warm. She was injured too but not as severely and was treated at the vets".

Mitch raised his eyebrows, impressed.

Another whine came from the back and some movement.

He sighed, standing up, giving up, but he chuckled "Well then, I don't think I can keep you away from each other for too long then"

He held out his hand, Anna took it as she stood up.

"Better not," Anna agreed, but also looking reluctant to leave.

Another whine.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" Anna shouted back.

There was an excited bark in response.

Mitch shook his head, smiling slightly at the pair.

She said, scratching her head anxiously, "Sorry about this"

"It's okay, really...we could carry on another time?" Mitch said, though asking it as a question.

"I'd like that" Anna said, her face flushing at what he was implying.

She turned to go, grabbing Jess's lead, Mitch watched her go. With a nod towards him, she closed the door.

Mitch laid back on the sofa, thinking about what had almost happened between them. He was fooling himself if he thought it would be anything more if he was right, so he shut that part of his mind off. However, maybe Mitch thought, maybe staying here for a little while wouldn't be boring after all.

Mitch closed his eyes, his body relaxing, but then gave an irritated sound as his phone started to ring.

But he knew he couldn't ignore it.

There was only one person who would call him on that phone.

Mitch picked it up from his pocket, putting it to his ear.

"What a surprise, I knew you couldn't go that long without me"

Kennedy's voice came over from the other end, but her tone was grim.

"It's actually not what you think"

"What's the crisis?" Mitch asked.

Kennedy sighed as she said, "We may have a problem"

"Just as I thought. Where do you want me to go? The airport is-" He started to say, his tone more formal and business like as he straightened.

Kennedy interrupted him as she said, "Unfortunately, the problem is the closer to home. We have two".

"What are they?" Mitch asked, knowing if she knew who they were, she would have told him already.

"A thief, being used to try to steal that document"

Mitch felt him smile a little, ah, so it was working, but he nodded and asked "And?"

She paused.

"An assassin"

She didn't have to tell him who their target was.

Mitch frowned, he had an idea where this was going, but he did still hope she wasn't talking about what he thought she was.

"Already?" He said, but he wasn't surprised.

She caught between the lines and said, "You have suspicions?"

Mitch's hands clenched and relaxed as he replied slowly, "I have, but I did hope I was wrong"

"It seems we both did, do you have a plan?" Kennedy asked.

"Yeah" He replied, "Yeah, but you're not going to like it"

Kennedy made a noise of amusement from the end as she said, "Do I ever?"

I may update now and again before January but I should be back to my regular updates in the beginning of January, anyway I hope you all had a great Christmas! And I hope you enjoy this and let me know what you think xxx