Cutting Into The Strings Around The Heart

She stood there, finger on trigger, her hands trembling.

Mitch stood in front of her, a clear target. 

But...

Nothing happened. 

Anna's eyes filled with tears and she brought the gun down, away from him. 

"I..I can't"

She sounded shocked, surprised at herself but there was a strange acceptance there. 

She couldn't do it. 

That meant there was only one way this would end.

"You get lonely, don't you? Its easier to get attached to people when you have no one. When its just contracts and no real human contact, because their safety is in jeopardy if you do, with no one to really understand what you're going through" 

"You know it does" Anna said, her voice trembling but now there was no fear, only...sadness. 

Mitch said, leaning down, picking up his gun, rubbing it with his fingers from the floors dust and rubbish  "What I don't understand is one thing. Why even try and get close to me? You could have stayed your distance, done it like a sniper would" 

 "You intrigued me, I was curious, can you blame me? Mitch Rapp, america's top assassin, probably some day the worlds best, if you arn't already. I wanted to know..." 

She trailed of. 

"What makes me tick?" Mitch asked. 

She nodded. 

"Well...I guess you got what you wanted, didn't you?" 

"I guess I did" Anna muttered, ashamed, thinking back to his conversation with his father. 

"Not what you needed though" 

Mitch brings his gun up, pointing at her head. 

"You know I can't let you leave here right? You know to much...and I was also ordered to kill you, unlike Theo" 

"You weren't ordered to kill Theo?" Anna asked, she barely reacted, maybe I'd always known this would be my end, she thought. 

Why Mitch had been so sure it could't work out between him and Scott was so clear.

Mitch muttered something under his breath but Anna caught it "Doesn't matter anyway"

But what he said next really did worry her, he sounded grim and bitter, she hoped it was directed at Scott..."Who knows, maybe I'll do something he'll never forgive me for next"

Something nagged at the back of her head after that conversation, like something wasn't quite right. What was that supposed to mean? But maybe it was just a jab at Scott right? Nothing more. She wanted to but she couldn't bring herself to ask...

Even now thinking back to that sentence, sitting next to Scott, made Anna feel...uneasy. 

Thats right, thats why she'd starting crying, she had known, deep inside her, she had known what that line mean but she'd refused to acknowledge it.

"Who knows, maybe I'll do something he'll never forgive me for next"

She didn't want to let him go for some reason.

She had known this would be the last time she would hug Scott, talk to him, some part of her sub conscious recognised Mitch's words. And knew what it meant. Scott would never forgive him for killing her. 

Something in her soul twisting, sending tears down her eyes.

She...wasn't sure why she felt like this.

But Anne could feel her heart beat so loudly in her ears.

I'm still here, I'm still alive she assured herself.

Unable to understand why something nagging in the back of her head, making her feel uneasy, was telling her otherwise.... 

"No" Mitch agreed "I killed him because I wanted to, nothing more. I was to get who he was working for then no more orders, I could have let him go or put him in a safe house, you on the other hand...I am sorry" 

She studied him, for some reason a strange calm had overcome her. 

"You really are, aren't you? You are looking at me differently, it seems my plan didn't quite fail after all, you...like me

"Not in the way you like me though, its not in the way of doing my job" Mitch said, his voice more tensed and strained. 

Why then Anna wondered, hadn't he killed her yet? 

Why was his voice so strained? 

And even if he did talk to who he killed before hand, shouldn't it be threats and anger? Like Peter? Like Theo? 

But this wasn't that. 

This was comfort. 

The way he was looking at her, like he was seeing someone else. 

Mitch felt like the walls were closing on him, he didn't want to do this but she'd only be a security risk, he couldn't put innocent lives in danger like that, people would come for her afterwards, try and torchere her, to get information, wasn't this after all the most merciful thing to do?

Mitch grinded his teeth together,. 

Come on Mitch he told himself. 

Country first, remember? 

With that he straightened his aim, pointing it at her forehead. 

"Not there" 

Mitch blinked at her, surprised. 

"I at least get a say in how I die? Shouldn't I?" Anna asked. 

He didn't reply.  

She stepped closer to him, soon in his personal space. 

They were both breathing deeply inwards and outwards. 

"Here" She said. 

Slowly her hands encircling his wrist and moving it downwards, downwards.

Until the barrel once more was pointed at her heart. 

"Shoot me here" 

She...wanted him to shoot her... 

In the heart.