Hard Pill To Swallow

"Stiles, why you were gone Theo has changed, I promise you" Malia said softly, taking a step forward

"And why do you think for any second I should believe you" Mitch snapped back angrily.

"I trust him, Scott trusts him" Malia said.

"And that matters to be because?" Mitch asked, narrowing his eyes at her.

"Because-because you should trust our judgement," Malia stammered, seemingly becoming more uneasy as the conversation went on.

"I don't trust anyone's judgement when it comes to Theo" Mitch growled, especially when they were trying to convince him to trust him.

"Theo's changed Stiles! I thought you might even be more understanding of that now that you-" She cut her self off, shaking her head.

Mitch's eyes narrowed on her as he said coldly,  "Now I've what?"

She didn't answer at first, but Malia said finally, eyes wide, "You've changed so drastically since we last saw you. You've obviously been through some hardships, well so has Theo, he has been to hell after all".

Mitch said through gritted teeth, "Theo was a complete dick before, if you remember, and I wasn't!"

She just shook her head but seemed even more uncomfortable, but why? He couldn't figure this out unless there was something more to this, unless...

"What did he do to you? How did he help you?"

"What do you mean? He helped the pack a lot by-"

"No" Mitch said, knowing she was trying to avoid his question.

She tensed.

Mitch said more firmly, "No, what did he do to help you?"

She was silent, eyes wide, she probably didn't expect him to pick up on that.

Malia was a loyal friend, once you proved to her, you could be trusted.

How did Theo prove it to her? Mitch wondered.

Finally, she met his hard gaze and replied, "He saved me from hell"

Whatever Mitch had been expecting, it wasn't that!

"What-" Mitch started to say, but she interrupted him.

"We were discovering how to open the door to hell, where Theo had been dragged into, then suddenly... I was dragged in as well" She looked away "I was standing too close but I-I think it was my sister and stepmother".

"Malia..." Mitch said, too shocked to respond.

She looked at him again, stepping closer as she said, "He was there, I didn't get a look around me because I was in so much agony. I'm not sure how or who by, but I was tortured then before I knew it, Theo grabbed my arm, told me everything would be okay and dragged me back to the surface, and he got out, with me".

Mitch didn't reply for a couple of minutes, Malia had been in hell? He then wondered if all the people he'd killed were down there, they should be. If that was really life after death, he didn't think there was any other place they deserved. He guessed it made sense, that was almost the only way to get her trust, save her or her pack's life.

"I'm guessing after saving your life, it didn't take the pack too long to trust him" Mitch said skeptically.

Malia shook her head at him, "After telling you this, you still doubt him?! He saved my life, he saved Anna's life. He has changed. Hell, I'm pretty sure his saved all our lives at one point being with us"

Mitch thought about all the people he'd saved, and suddenly Theo saving the pack lives didn't seem so special.

"He saved Liam and Hayden's lives, even Scott's life when I was there, what's the difference?" Mitch replied simply.

Malia growled, her eyes flashing blue, finally having enough "His been through hell, I thought you would understand that"

She shoved her finger into his chest as she said you.

Mitch had a feeling that this argument would go on forever, as none of them would give.

He stayed silent for a while, then he took a deep breath.

"Okay, look, I'll give him a chance, okay? For you" He lied easily. His heart steady.

Malia did look surprised but then her eyes softened, she did stop herself from hugging him, this Stiles, probably wouldn't appreciate that. He didn't look like a guy who liked other people touching him like that.

"Really?" She asked.

"Really" Mitch lied easily.

His mind was going in the complete opposite direction, he had already decided...

Before he left Beacon Hills, Theo was going to die.

He didn't know when, but he knew it would be soon...

He couldn't leave the pack with someone like Theo, he just couldn't.

Mitch noticed Malia had been talking, interrupting his darker thoughts, he caught something...

"Missed me?" He asked, not paying enough attention to catch everything she had said.

Malia smiled at him as she said seriously "Yeah, I missed you, everyone in the pack did"

And this time, for the life of him, Mitch didn't know how to reply.

And what he realized then and there was even more shocking.

His gut twisted as he thought about what he'd been doing for the CIA, but also the adrenaline, the satisfaction after a mission was completed and the knowledge the country was safe or the people that were in danger from certain terrorists were safe. He-he had barely thought of the pack in these past years?! Especially with and after Mary. She and his life afterward has seriously engulfed him and swallowed him whole.

And it was only now was he realized that he had barely thought about them or wondered what they were up to, let alone missed them. It was a strange pill to swallow.

He found himself realizing that honestly he... Couldn't return the compliment.