Contest

A little back story, this is a oneshot for m_ann1101's contest, where the topic is the betrayal of a clanmate. And since it can be fanmade, I'm going to be using my OCs from Elementals, but this doesn't affect the Elementals timeline!!! And with that, enjoy!

Warning: depicts graphic violence and gory imagery

  "Morning, everyone!" Emberstar exclaimed cheerily, as his sleepy eyed packmates padded out of their dens, yawning. Firepelt padded slowly onto Highrock, where her mate stood, and buried her nose in his fur. Emberstar licked her ear. "Need me to get you anything?" Firepelt asked, looking up at the FirePack leader. "No, it's ok. But thank you." He responded, closing his eyes, and taking in her sweet scent. "In that case, I'll be chilling out with Scorchedtail and Searedfur." Firepelt said, padding away to the sunniest spot in camp.

  Emberstar smiled, and turned around to see Singedfur looming over him, staring. "Good morning, Singedfur!" The orange wolf said enthusiastically. The FirePack deputy stood still, and didn't say a word. Emberstar glanced around. "Is something wrong?" He asked worriedly. Singedfur shook his head. "We're low on freshkill." He responded, nodding towards the small pile of food. "And then it hit me. You're always cooped up here in camp, looking after the clan. You should go hunting, stretch you're legs." Singedfur suggested.

  Emberstar stood silently, but then nodded. "You're right." He said, hoisting himself up. "I won't be gone long. Take care of everything for me?" He asked, climbing down Highrock. "Take as much time as you need, Emeraldflame and I got this." Singedfur replied with a smile. The pack leader nodded, and headed off onto the moor. He pricked his ears, sniffing the air, when a rabbit bounded out from behind a bush. Emberstar crouched down, wagged, his haunches, and pounced, killing the rabbit with a swift bite to the neck. He dug up a hole in the hard earth, and his the food. He walked a little farther ahead, catching two squirrels and a mouse. The FirePack leader silently leaped into a huddle of grass when he noticed a fat, juicy thrush, pecking at a pile of seeds. Emberstar prepared to pounce, but an ear splitting scream caused him to lurch backward, scaring the thrush away.

  He quickly turned around, and raced back towards the camp. He burst through the mossy barrier, and was greeted by a horrifying sight. Firepelt lay unmoving on the ground, and Singedfur loomed over her, breathing heavily. Emberstar raced over to his mate. "Oh, dear Heavenly, what happened?!" He howled, licking Firepelt's ear to wake her up. "Badger attack. I got everyone else to safety, but Firepelt got hurt really badly, and..." Singedfur tried to explain, when he noticed Emberstar staring at him. "Badgers don't live out here in the moor!" He cried. "C'mon, Firepelt! Wake up, please!" The FirePack leader wailed. Singedfur squinted his eyes. "You're weak." He spat. Emberstar stared up at his deputy. "W-what?!" He asked in disbelief.

  "You care too much about your pack, your family, it's your weakness. Feelings make you weak, slow you down. I had to kill her. I knew it would break you, then I could come through and finally get my rightful spot as leader." Singedfur growled. Emberstar's eyes widened in shock and anger. "Traitor!" He yelled, pouncing on top of the much bigger wolf. Singedfur yowled in surprise, as the two rolled around in the dirt. The FirePack deputy, being much bigger than Emberstar, pinned the leader down, digging his teeth into his shoulder. Emberstar yowled, and kicked at Singedfur's belly, knocking him to the ground. The two wolves faced each other, growling. "Get out of here! Don't even think about coming back! The next time I see you on my...our territory, every wolf here will have permission to kill you! Get out of my sight, you untrustworthy devil!!!" Emberstar screamed, tears pouring down his face.

  Singedfur slowly padded over to the camp exit, shot one last menacing glance at his leader, and was swallowed up by the moss. Emberstar raced over to his mate's lifeless body, and buried his head in her soft fur. He cried, his tears muffled, as rain steadily fell around them.

Singedfur, Emberstar's loyal deputy...

His helpful deputy...

His trustworthy deputy...

The wolf Emberstar trusted to lead the pack after he died...

Killed his mate, Firepelt...

All for a pack leader's power...