twelve.

Despite being on constant guard, Jungkook was finally caught by Yoongi during his late night snacks. The older male had gotten up to go to the toilet when he noticed the fridge light on. Naturally he went to investigate, tip-toeing through the house in case it was an intruder who'd decided to steal his food or something. By the time Jungkook realised, it was too late and he'd been spotted.

"Kookie?" Yoongi yawned, sitting down on the floor beside the boy. Having only woken up to go to the toilet, he wasn't fully awake just yet. He probably wouldn't completely wake up until morning, really. "Couldn't you have just eaten at dinner?"

"No." The boy responded, picking up a piece of meat.

"But it would've been warmer then― Can't you at least use some chopsticks or something?"

"No." He continued to eat with his hands, licking the stray grains of rice from his fingers. "Too much effort and mess. You'd notice."

"Well I've noticed now." Jungkook just shrugged. "You know, you really don't make life easy for me."

"Life hasn't been easy for me. What makes you so special?"

Yoongi sighed exasperatedly, shaking his head. "I'm not saying I'm special, I just... I mean, I'm trying to help you and gain your trust, but every time it seems like we're making progress you shut me out again."

"How could you help me?" Jungkook asked, scooping some of the rice. "You don't even know me."

"Then let me know you; tell me about yourself, let me in."

Jungkook shook his head, "No. Even if I did, you couldn't understand. No one could. I don't want your pity."

"I won't―"

"You will. It's basically an impulse for humans. Humans with compassion at least, and you seem like you'd have that." The boy put the lid back on the container and put it back in the fridge. He then continued rummaging through for more food. "No matter what I tell you, you'll pity me. I don't need it or want it. All you need to do is provide me with the things I need to live and we'll be fine."

"But I don't want to just be your benefactor. Please just give me a chance, Kookie."

"I don't know... You could be lying."

"How many promises to you have I actually broken, Kookie?" Yoongi snapped, the lack of trust beginning to frustrate him. He understood why Jungkook didn't trust him, of course, but he couldn't help the frustration he felt towards his own ineptness. He was never good with people but with this boy he was actually trying ― but even that seemed fruitless. Jungkook remained silent, unable to recall one. "Exactly. Can't you just give me one chance? One chance and if I fail you then you can go back to this sort of relationship. But please, I don't care how long it takes for you to open up to me, please at least try."

"Fine. I'll try. But the very second you slip up is the very second I stop trusting you." The younger warned, closing the fridge. They both sat there, neither really wanting to return to bed anymore.

"Alright, thank you." Yoongi yawned, but despite his tiredness he tried to continue the conversation. "When you... When you were with him, what exactly did you do? Like, did you just sit in a cage all day?"

"No. There's a big room where he keeps most of the safe ones. At first I was in there with everyone else, sometimes I'd be allowed to follow him around ー but that was because I was his favourite then. But then something happened to make him see me as dangerous and he locked me away in that room. Most of the time his new favourite came and saw me ー fed me and cleaned me."

"So Namjoon just ignored you after that?"

"Basically. Except for when he needed something."

"Can I ask what you did to make him think you were dangerous?"

Jungkook was quiet for a few moments, conflicted. He didn't want to open up to this man, but he had made a promise. He couldn't be the first person to go back on their word. "Iー We tried to escape."

"We?"

"I told you, I wasn't the only one there. My life was a little easier because at the time he loved me; they were worse off than me. But we all wanted to get out." The younger shuffled closer to Yoongi, resting against him. "We didn't realise the world out here isn't that nice either ー that out here we're just freaks that need to be hid away."

"I don't hide you away because I'm ashamed of you..."

"No, you might not. But how many people would see me as more than a freak or something to be experimented on?" Jungkook chuckled lightly. "I loved my wings. I thought they made me better than everyone else ー that I was special. But all they do is stop me from fitting in. Now I both love and hate them."

"Your wings are beautiful but they're not everything. Even without your wings, you're still special." Yoongi moved so the boy was looking at him. "Even without them, you're still my angel."

Jungkook could feel his eyes welling up again. It'd been ages since someone had said anything nice to him, that made him feel loved. This time, he could feel the tears beat him and one rolled down his cheek. Things were made worse when the older male leaned in to kiss his forehead ー something that had taken a lot of guts for Yoongi. The younger hugged the brunette, burying his face in his shoulder.

"We should go to bed... We have to go shopping tomorrow, remember?" Yoongi said, hugging the boy back. Jungkook didn't make any attempt to move so the older just got up himself and then picked the boy up. He carried him back to bed, listening as he sniffled. "Do you know what you want to get Taehyung yet?"

"No... What do you think?"

"I dunno, maybe just some food or something." Jungkook nodded before he was placed down in bed. Yoongi went to go to his own bed when the younger grabbed his shirt.

"It's uncomfortable down there, isn't it?" Jungkook asked. "This bed is comfortable and I'm only small. You can sleep up here."

"You sure?" The boy nodded. "Well, alright. Try not to kick me in your sleep or anything."

Yoongi climbed into bed beside him. Jungkook immediately curled up against him, the top wing curling around them.

"Good night, Yoongi."

"Good night, Kookie."