twenty seven.

Note: guys, there's a reason why I don't do science anymore -- there's a couple, actually, but one of them is that I suck at them. Especially chem and bio. So forgive me for the vagueness and inaccuracy, please.

Jungkook hissed as the needle sunk into his skin, keeping his eyes on Yoongi so he wouldn't find his gaze drifting to the pain-inducing device Namjoon was using on his arm. That being said, for the most part his eyes were scrunched up tightly and all he could really feel was the pain in one arm and Yoongi's tight grip on his hand in the other.

It wasn't that the brunette was particularly intolerant to pain; the serum in the syringe was working at small parts of his DNA, changing his molecular structure, so a bit of intense pain was to be expected. That and Jungkook kept flashbacking to the time when he was younger and Namjoon was doing this the first time round. He was a lot less gentle back then.

"Any adverse reaction?" Jungkook heard Namjoon ask Yoongi, who responded (thankfully) with a no. "Good. I've tested it all out on a few of the other bird hybrids to make sure everything's fine, but all bird species are different and I only ever used the bird for Jungkook once."

"I'll keep a close eye on him."

"I'm not going to die, am I?" Jungkook whispered, now very afraid of this possibility. If he was a tad less brave and a tad less proud, he might have started crying.

"No, of course not." The brunette felt some of his fringe be pushed off his forehead as Yoongi comfortingly murmured beside him. "If that was even a possibility, I wouldn't've even contemplated this."

"But Namjoon―"

"Namjoon didn't mean it like that. Don't worry, Kookie. Alright." A pair of lips were pressed against his temple, right as another needle pierced the skin. He let out a small whimper, wetness pricking the corner of his shut eyes. Noticing this, Yoongi immediately continued murmuring, barely moving his lips from the boy's temple. "It's alright, Kookie. It's just a little pain now and then everything will be fine. You're my brave little angel, aren't you? My brave Kookie. You can get through this."

Yoongi continued doing this until the whole thing was over, distracting the boy so much he barely even noticed the last needle. When Namjoon did say it was done, Jungkook opened his eyes and jumped into Yoongi's arms, hugging him tightly. Behind his back, the older pair shared a look: all good so far.

"It's probably going to hurt a bit, but just take these and it should be fine." Namjoon said, handing them a small container of painkillers. "If it gets too much though, it might be better if we just give him some general anaesthetic."

"We'll see. You ready to go back to the room, Kookie?" The younger nodded, allowing the older male to pick him up. Yoongi held the boy close to his chest and carried him carefully back to their room. He placed the boy down on the bed beside him and then lay down next to him. He lay on his side so he could continue to watch the boy. "Does it hurt?"

Jungkook just nodded, rolling onto his side as well. He moved closer to the older male and hugged him tightly, as though that might relieve some of the pain he was experiencing.

"Here, take some of these then. You'll have to swallow them dry, unless you're willing to wait for me to go find some water." Jungkook shook his head and sat up a little. He opened his mouth, waiting expectantly for the older male to place one of the tablets on his tongue. Yoongi complied to his expectation and gave him one, followed by another once he'd swallowed the first. "If you can, you should just sleep for a bit. It might make time pass quicker."

"Will you stay with me?" Yoongi nodded and got comfortable in the bed, lying down on his back. He pulled the brunette over so he was resting against his side, arm wrapped around him. Jungkook got settled as well, shutting his eyes as he waited for the pain killers to start taking effect. "I'll be normal after all this, won't I?"