I. Gramp

To sit in front of your grandfather was not entirely the same as having a chat with your grandmother, most particularly if you were planning to talk about a very peculiar topic

Valerie and Violet, twins, were thinking how they could convince their grandfather to talk more freely about the Town, a place they've read about in their grandmother's eight handwritten and unpublished stories, the very same ones they found merely weeks ago in their grandparents' old cabin by the woods.

Since reading all eight stories, they have been filled with questions and they barely got any answer from their grandmother who had not even shared why she never tried to have the stories published.

She wrote about the Town as if she truly lived there. It was as if the woman wrote the stories entirely for herself, to have a physical copy of her memories there.

But the idea of the Town seemed preposterous.

Thinking about it now, the twins could barely grasp the idea of an underground world hundreds of feet below with people who chose to live their lives trapped in an era that had long been forgotten aboveground, an era where gowns and balls were not merely a part of history books, but of daily lives; carriages the most common form of transport; electricity a new discovery; castes were distinctly observed and many other things humanity once had lived with but now reduced to mere fairytales.

But as far-fetched as the Town may seem, the twins could not help but feel confused. Their grandmother's stories of the infamous Everards and their struggles with life, family, friends, society and love, all felt incredible yet true that they would not be surprised now if they would stumble upon a giant cone-shaped wall somewhere in the middle of the woods, climb on it and find themselves looking into a hole, one of the many that were scattered all over the Town to offer ventilation, light for vegetation and a scenic view for other social events or otherwise. They had also agreed that should they find such hole, they would not hesitate to attach themselves to a harness and descend down on a lake, an estate or one of the vast plantations of the Town. Just like how Mr. Jones might have done it if he was indeed true as what most of the townspeople believed.

Having read all eight handwritten books, having witnessed through their grandmother's writings how the Everards surpassed society's ire when one of them married his sisters' governess, when the other eloped with a woman betrothed to another and married in Tiny Town, when the other successfully rekindled an old flame, how one married the man of her dreams and many other things the family had to go through-good and bad, joyful and tragic-Valerie and Violet was eager to know more about the Everards and the Town itself.

Add the fact that their grandmother had chosen to write herself in most of the stories and the twins surely found themselves with so many unanswered questions. And to add more reasons for the two young women's eagerness, Fiona Trilby also wrote in some of the pages about a young man who would then turn to be the very same old man eating pudding in front of them many years later, here, aboveground and not down there where the Town was supposed to be.