VIII. The New Herald

Maxine had to be literally dragged by Albin from her bed to the door merely five hours since she had fallen asleep.

"We cannot sleep longer than the masters, my friend," he urged, pushing Maxine to the door when she moaned in protest. "And do not make such sounds. You sound like a nancy!"

Maxine splashed water on her face, her eyes still quite heavy and joined the other servants in the kitchen.

Fanny was already busy cooking the food for the masters while they ate bread and butter and paired them with fresh milk.

Molly disappeared for a while in the middle of her meal and returned with a set of uniforms for Maxine. "I am quite excited to see you wearing them."

"Thank you, Molly. This is very nice of you," Maxine said in a low voice, clearing her throat. She looked over at Albin and asked, "What time does the master prefer the curtains to be drawn?"

"No specific time, Max," Albin said. "Simply count the number of hours since he had fallen asleep. He does love to sleep for over eight hours."

Maxine frowned. "With or without the influence of spirits?" she asked.

"Yes," Albin nodded, leaning over to whisper, "but since his brothers are here, you might want to see to them first."

"Why?"

"Lord Ralph prefers to be awakened by seven. Lord Max is a very light sleeper and he wakes up earlier than anyone. I would not be surprised if you walk into his chamber and find him already awake."

Maxine swallowed. She would not find Lord Maxwell in a bedchamber.

She looked around. "Where is Oscar?"

Everyone shrugged.

"He does have his own business to attend to every morning, tasks he believes are of paramount importance than anyone else's," Molly wryly uttered.

"And that is?"

"Read the Herald, of course, before the master does so he could recommend articles and answer questions if asked."

"It is part of his work?"

"Not really, no," Lottie uttered with a shake of her head. "But he is proud of it."

Albin threw the last piece of his bread into his mouth and rubbed his hands together. "'Twas a good bread, Fanny. Thank you." He slapped Maxine's back none too gently and added, "Finish at once, Max. Lord Maxwell, as I have said, is a very light sleeper."

"But should you not valet for him? You are in charge of guests."

Albin narrowed his eyes. "Counting tasks, Max?"

Her face flushed. "No, of course not."

Albin laughed. "Yes, I am in charge of the guests, but I'd rather wait on Lord Ralph. You take Lord Max."

"But Lord Nick might be up—"

"He will not," Molly uttered. "He sleeps a lot."

"Go on," Fanny said, taking Maxine's empty plate. "Tell his lordships breakfast shall be ready in a quarter of an hour."

Maxine wiped her mouth, rushed back to her room and changed into the set of uniform from Molly which were far better than yesterday's.

She dragged herself to the drawing room, entirely aware that Maxwell Everard would be there. Her heart was pounding heavily against her chest as she pushed the door open. She poked her head inside and her eyes widened when she found it empty.