IV. Brotherly Time

A few months later...

Rock'oles was not only famous, but it was also the epitome of sin. It was located merely a few minutes out of Wickhurst and it catered to many needs of the affluent lords from all over the Town.

A structure that was so magnificently carved into a giant wall of rock, its passages and chambers sculpted to perfection, Rock'oles was home to many rich men who hungered for a night of passionate bliss in the arms of its women.

Yet although it would allow entry to those who were rich enough to become members, it did not so often assure a satisfactory night for all since the women could be quite difficult.

Unlike many brothels of its kind, Rock'oles' women lived like princesses. They decided who may enter their private chambers and they said when they wanted a man. They were law.

This did not deter the rich lords. In fact, this made them even more so eager to be chosen. They'd bring the most extravagant gifts they could offer the women for a chance to be chosen and if they were lucky enough to be endowed by the women's precious attention, it would permit them the bragging rights amongst their peers for months on end.

Yes, not all may be invited into a chamber, but most could enjoy a merry time in the gaming halls with the women who would be kind enough to spend time with them outside the comforts of their chambers.

Such case was happening with Nicholas, Ralph and Maxwell Everard. Nicholas, a frequent visitor of Rock'oles, was merely happy to accompany his brothers to the place.

But unlike him and Maxwell who were hoping to be invited into one of the many chambers, their youngest brother Ralph was there for an entirely different reason.

As a Town Guard, he had been tasked to investigate a recent reopened case of illegal slavery around the Town, a case that was being secretly handled by none other than their brother-in-law, Cole Devitt.

"A source pointed me to this damned place," Ralph kept complaining as he stared at the women around them.

"You have enjoyed Rock'oles before, you hypocrite," Nicholas said, playfully pushing his brother.

"Well, yes, I did! Until our mother caught me!"

"And whose fault is that?" Maxwell wryly asked.

"Not mine," Nicholas said, shaking his head. "'Twas not my fault you slipped the name of the place during family dinner—of all time, you dolt!"

Ralph narrowed his eyes at his brothers.

"I am getting bored," Maxwell said after a while. "Where is your woman?" he asked Nicholas.

Nicholas craned his neck to look for Tania, his favorite girl. At the moment the woman was talking and laughing with another gentleman five tables away. He gritted his teeth.

Maxwell followed his gaze and let out a snort.

"Has she said anything?" Ralph asked Nicholas, voice stringent. As the youngest, it was quite difficult to take him seriously when he was being utterly serious.

Nicholas swept his fingers through his hair in an attempt to put them in place. "Well, I did try."

Maxwell scoffed as he sauntered his eyes to Ralph. "He tried. And failed. I told you it is no use."

"I truly did!" Nicholas hissed. "But you know Tania. She does have a gift of making a man forget his train of thoughts."

Ralph groaned in frustration. "You are both useless."

Maxwell glared at him. "I was not aware I am obliged to help."

"Then why are you here!"

"For the bloody drinks you promised to pay for," Maxwell shot back.