XXXII. Let No Man Put Asunder

Nicholas stood in front of them like a total fool. He did not gawk, nor did his eyes widen. In fact, he simply stared.

Maxine took the chance to pull her hand free from Maxwell's grasp and whirl to hiss, "What are you doing?"

Maxwell tore his eyes away from his speechless brother and gazed down at her. "Have I not made my intentions clear enough?"

She gasped and blinked in disbelief. "I am sorry, my lord, but I must have missed the question when you asked!" she snarled with derision.

From the corner of her eye she saw Nicholas move his head from her back to his brother.

"I am not marrying you," she snapped at Maxwell, jumping back when he attempted to grab her hand. "Stay away from me, you horrid man!" she added, scurrying to hide behind Nicholas. "Your actions are appalling, my lord, I tell you that!"

Maxwell's face darkened, stalking after her. "And what would you have me do? Allow you to disappear from Wickhurst after I have compromised you?" He scoffed, carefully following her around Nicholas. His brother turned to stare at them both while they circled him. "Do you think me daft?"

"No, I believe you are irrational apart from being asinine!" she hissed at him, stepping back as he moved forward, entirely aware that Nicholas was following their movements as he was trapped inside the invisible track they were making around him. "I am not marrying you!"

Maxwell bared his teeth and increased his pace until he caught her hand. But Maxine grabbed Nicholas' hand as he tried to pull her toward him.

"What the bloody hell is happening!" Nicholas roared, glaring at them both. "What the bloody hell is happening!" he bellowed once more, this time his anger echoing around the room.

Both Maxine and Maxwell stopped and stared at him.

Maxwell opened his mouth to speak but Nicholas was already demanding, saying, "Do not make me feel more of a buffoon as I am feeling now, brother, for I will have none of it!" He turned to Maxine and frowned. "Why are you forcing my valet to marry you?" He turned his head back on his brother with a scandalized look on his face. "I do believe you are a man who fancies the opposite sex, Maxwell, so please be so kind and explain exactly why you would drag my valet to Tiny Town! You are no nancy!"

Maxwell's face contorted. "What the bloody hell, Nicholas," he said, pulling Maxine closer to his side. "Could you be any more blind and not see that your valet is a woman!"

Maxine closed her eyes and groaned in frustration. Was it time for her to stride into the offices of the Town Herald and chronicle her secrets for publication?

Nicholas looked dumbfounded when Maxine opened her eyes once more. He was staring at her with mouth hanging open and then his eyes widened as he looked at her closer, this time really seeing her.

Ah, bloody hell, the man was not completely blind after all.

"Now, if you could get over your shock, can we now proceed to Tiny Town?" Maxwell asked with impatience. He turned to Maxine, eyes dark and determined. "We are going to wed."

"And I say no!" she cried out, pulling away from him. He did not let her, his grip tighter now.

"And as I have said, I cannot let you walk away from Wickhurst and from me, woman." His voice was almost threatening as he said the words through his teeth. "You could very well be carrying our child in your womb this very minute or have you not thought of that?"

Maxine went cold. No, she had not thought of that.

Maxwell's hand loosened around hers, silently telling her that she could pull away now if she truly wished to, but Maxine could not do so. She did not want to admit it, but she was allowing that one reason of having his child be a part of a decision that a part of her oddly and mysteriously wanted.