XXXVII. Rock'oles Scorn

"Well?" asked Cole, brows arched high. "Why are we here?"

Wakefield looked around the gaming room of Grey's. "I do not see Nick or Ralph anywhere." He frowned at Maxwell and narrowed his eyes. "Why are we here?"

"I do have a favor to ask," he started but his brothers-in-law were already shaking their heads. "You have not heard it yet."

"Well, if it is about your wife's family tormenting you with daily missives, I believe there is no law against it and we cannot take them to courts," Cole said. "I cannot help you."

"And if you are planning to use me as part of a plan to take revenge, Max, I tell you that it is not necessary," Wakefield added. "We dared not do it, Cole and I, am I right, Cole?"

He glared at the two men. "That is not what I have in mind."

Both men leaned back against their chairs. "Then what is it?"

"I would like for both of you to talk to your wives."

Cole and Wakefield frowned. "What for?"

"Ask them to talk to mine."

"Do not tell me you and Maxine are estranged. It has merely been fortnight since that ruckus in your mother's estate."

"Do cease your outrageous imaginations, Wakefield," he snapped. "Ask your wives to talk to mine. Convince her to agree to a grand wedding."

"She has expressed no desire for a grand wedding," Cole said under his breath. "And everyone understands it."

Maxwell sighed. "Her brothers would not stop urging me to do it and I have tired myself of asking her."

"Then bloody tell them to urge her," Wakefield uttered.

Cole looked at Maxwell for a while. "I shall ask Meg but I cannot promise that she will agree."

"And Ysabella will most definitely do what her friend and sister-in-law wishes," Wakefied said. "But of course, I will try."

"She is proving to be difficult where the matter about her birth is concerned."

Cole shrugged. "One cannot blame her. We have all witnessed many bastards meeting bad fates in the past."

"But the story will soon come out," Maxwell said. "Even if the Herald cannot publish it because of Samuel, the gossipmongers will soon smell the scent of a gossip."

"Is that why you are taking her to Kenward? Ysabella shared your plans."

"Yes," Maxwell retorted, taking a gulp from his glass. "We decided to reside there."

"Finally leaving Vinge, eh?" Wakefield chuckled.

"And what of her other family?" Cole asked.

"You mean the Trilbys," he said and then shrugged. "She has not spoken about them."

"And the search for her mother?"

"We have not discussed it since the family dinner."

Wakefield studied him with assessing eyes. "And how is marriage faring you?"

"Very well," he snapped. He took another long gulp from his glass. "I have a question," he stated after a moment of silence. His brothers-in-law waited with anticipation. "Do you tell your wives you love them? If so, how often?"

Cole sputtered in his drink while Wakefield laughed at the top of his lungs, nearly toppling back on his chair.

"What?" Maxwell asked with frustration.