XXIX. Twice the Trouble

It was quite a surprise, really, when the arrogant butler stepped aside to allow them entry with a smile on his face. His hospitality was not missed, but the forced curve on his lips was certainly unwanted. It was also a big surprise when Amelia Trilby sauntered into the parlor with a radiant smile on her lips, her velvet gown swirling about her as she walked.

She went directly to Maxwell who gave her a short bow before lightly kissing the hand she offered, or rather pushed into his face.

She turned to Maxine and said, "Please do forgive me for my ungracious exit yesterday," she said to them, motioning at the chaise while she walked to her winged chair. "I had a terrible headache and your news was quite too much for me to handle."

As Maxine prepared herself to say something, the door to the parlor opened once more and a very beautiful young woman, one Maxine was yet to find a beauty comparable to, entered the room with a frown on her face. For the many years she had been lurking behind lavish gowns and suits of hundreds of gentries in the many Theobald parties, Maxine could definitely wager that this woman was the most striking of all, even more so than Belinda Carrington-Haverston whom she had once thought to be the fairest. This woman could be a sculpture brought to life! Everything on her face seemed to have been carefully carved into perfection, her skin fair and glowing.

Her striking straight black hair was down, a few escaping to tease the sides of her face as she walked into the room, dark grey eyes on Amelia Trilby. Maxine was certain that if anyone else wore the grey gown she was wearing now, it would not appear silver as it did on the woman.

"Auntie, I must discuss something of import-" but she stopped short when she saw Maxine and Maxwell. She blinked, surprised, before she uttered, "Oh, do forgive me. I was not aware that you are with company."

Amelia forced out a chuckle. "Vega, dear, I would like you to meet my callers." She stood up and so did Maxine and Maxwell. "This is Maxwell Everard, Lord of Kenward." Maxine saw the young woman's brow arch at the mention of the Everard name before a stiff smile appeared on her lips. "Good morning, my lord," she murmured under her breath as she curtsied. Maxwell bowed.

"And this, my dear, is Lady Maxine Theobald," said Amelia, motioning at Maxine.

Vega turned to Maxine, eyeing her with scrutiny. Whatever she saw on her was not pleasant at all, Maxine thought, for the woman barely smiled as she muttered, "Aunt Amelia told me about you," she said with a small curtsy.

"This is my beautiful niece, Lady Vega Trilby, the heiress of Wyndam," Amelia Trilby said with pride in her voice.

"Unless my father tries to create a son, of course," said Vega with a knowing smile.

A woman to inherit her father's title was very uncommon, but not unheard of, Maxine thought. Yet with the Trilbys she was certain they had their own secrets. However did Vega Trilby became an heiress, Maxine might never know.

"Now, Vega, if you could wait for a while?" Amelia Trilby asked, giving her niece a meaningful smile, the meaning only known to them.

Vega graciously nodded at both Maxwell and Maxine before she turned and flowed out of the room. That was how Maxine would define the exit-the lady seemed as though she was gently floating as she walked.

When they were seated once more, Amelia turned to Maxine and said, "Again, my dear, I do apologize for how I treated you yesterday." She turned to Maxwell and her smile widened. "I was merely surprised."

"Perhaps," Maxwell spoke for Maxine as she suddenly lost the ability to do so after Vega's short appearance, "you could provide us with answers now?"