XXX. A Kitchen Assembly

"Lottie," Maxine gasped, stepping forward.

But Lottie jumped away from her, her face white as paper. The scullery maid's dark brows furrowed into a frown of confusion and morphed into what Maxine feared the most—anger and horror. "Y—you..." Color returned on the woman's face as the anger grew. "You're a woman!"

Maxine looked over her shoulder at the closed door. In panic, she jumped toward Lottie and grabbed the woman's hand to lead her away from the study.

Lottie pulled away from her hold the very moment they entered the service corridor through the narrow door situated between two large paintings.

"You lied to us," Lottie said, eyes brimming with angry tears. "Y—yer a woman! A woman!" She let out a breath of fury as Maxine stayed silent, utterly speechless. What was she supposed to say? A tear fell from Lottie's eyes. She wiped it away harshly. "And—and you're his lover! Lord Max's lover!"

Maxine went cold. Lottie heard everything.

Bloody tarnation indeed!

"Lottie, please, hear me first before you—"

The maid slapped her hand away when she tried to reach out. "Do not touch me!" Lottie shouted. She pushed Maxine away by the shoulder, causing her stumble back. "You stay away from me, you lying—you lying wench!"

"Lottie?" A voice called out from the far end of the corridor, the one that led to the kitchen.

Molly.

Bloody brilliant!

Maxine's eyes widened when Lottie turned away. "Lottie, please, do not tell—"

"Let go of me!" Lottie screamed at her before she ran toward Molly.

"Lottie!" Maxine cried out after her, stalking Lottie down the corridor.

Bloody tarnation! Everything was crumbling to ruins now and she must stop it.

This is what you get for all your lies, a part of her said.

"Lottie!" she called out in panic once more, but the scullery maid was tall and her strides were long. And she finally reached Molly who was looking at them both with confusion.

"Max!" another voice called out from behind her. It was Albin. "Max! His lordship is here! Come quick!"

"You stay away from me!" Lottie hissed when Maxine chose to ignore Albin.

"Max!" Albin called out once again.

Molly reached for Lottie when the maid ran to hide behind her. "What is the meaning of this?" Molly asked. "Max? Lottie? What is the meaning of this?"

"Stay away from me or I am going to scream!" Lottie hissed once again over Molly's shoulder.

Molly stared at Maxine with suspicion. "What is the meaning of this, Max? What happened?" She stared at Maxine and over her shoulder at Lottie. Then her eyes widened in horror. "Oh, God, do not tell me that you—that you fancy Lottie! Is that why you—oh, dear Lord, but you cannot—"

"No, that is not it, Molly," Maxine uttered in frustration.

"Bloody hell, Max, be quick!" Albin said behind Maxine, surprising her. He grabbed her hand and pulled her away from both maids.

"Lottie, please," Maxine said as she let herself be dragged by Albin.

The maid looked utterly furious to be reconciled and perhaps she could spare the woman some time to think.

And pray that she would not let her secret out.

*****

"Ah, so you came back," Nicholas said when Maxine and Albin appeared in his chamber. He was loosening his cravat as he stared at Maxine. "And Albin has imparted to me that you disappeared because your mother disappeared. Is that correct?"